Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best way to remove frost from windshield?

JasonC wrote:

If temp is below freezing I would suggest wings and stab are a far bigger potential problem than the windscreen.

Agree, but at least that you can scrape off, something you can’t do with the windscreen w/o scratching it.

You will damage the paint though.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@172driver: can you be more specific? I fly a C210 in Africa regularly but cannot recall it stating specifically that TKS cannot be used. Might not have been my focus reading the POH with the high temps out there. As the TKS fluid is spayed on the glare shield anyways in other aircraft such as the Cirrus SR22, I would not know how it could damage it. It for sure works to remove it.

Removing a small bit of ice. Seneca 2-200T, parked at Lyon Bron.

Removing ice from Cirrus SR22T.

EDLE, Netherlands

I find it hard to understand how TKS fluid can keep the ice off an aircraft in flight yet damages it when used on the ground.

I expect the prohibition is due to the lack of hold over time data in the ground de-icing role and keeping the lawyers at bay.

Sunlight.
PS. If TKS damages it, why do I have a deicing system that pumps TKS over the windscreen?

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

@AeroPlus, I am somewhat puzzled by that as well, that’s why I’ve been asking here. See below from the C210 POH (C210L, Centurion II):

NOTE

Never use gasoline, benzine, alcohol, acetone, carbon tetrachloride, fire extinguisher or anti-ice fluid, lacquer thinner or glass cleaner to clean the plastic. These ma- terials will attack the plastic and may cause it to craze.

NB: in the original text the ‘Never Use’ is underlined.

While I have flown in sub-zero temps, these situations were all in very dry climates, e.g. here in the deserts and in southern Africa.

Last Edited by 172driver at 18 Feb 15:24

Peter wrote:

A cover also stops people casing the joint

Goodness Gracious Peter!

At this rate we are all going to end up speaking proper English!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

@172driver: strange. I would think TKS fluid can be used as can be seen from this info.

EDLE, Netherlands

@AeroPlus, agree, surprised me as well. Mind, they are only referring to the windshield. Anyway, off to the mountains now, I’ll let you know how it went.

@172driver: technically speaking the windshield might be off limits to TKS, so don’t shoot the messenger. :-)

EDLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message