Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bordeaux International Fly-in : 1 to 3 September 2017 Saucats LFCS

Not an expert, but if I were routing VFR from North Weald I would do :

EGSX – KATHY – LFOV (for customs) then route just east of Nantes and La Rochelle down to Saucats.

The IOW-Cherbourg crossing is a little longer than, say, Le Touquet, but you stay clear of a lot of controlled airspace.

LFOV (Laval) has the advantage of being quiet so
no waiting around for fuel etc.

Its PPR for customs (and English Afis). Send an email to [email protected] or if that doesn’t work you can call the customs guys directly on 0033 664 57 61 09 or 00336 64 57 61 10

Bordeaux Merignac normally allow an overhead transit straight through to Saucats.

Last Edited by Bordeaux_Jim at 26 Aug 12:26
LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

LFOV Airport info
https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/dvd/eAIP_17_AUG_2017/Atlas-VAC/PDF_AIPparSSection/VAC/AD/AD-2.LFOV.pdf
Customs/Immigration PNR 24 hours.

I am departing on Friday morning and planning to go to Le Mans (from Blackbushe) on the way down and visit the Le Mans 24 Hour Museum https://www.lemans-musee24h.com/en/
https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/dvd/eAIP_17_AUG_2017/Atlas-VAC/PDF_AIPparSSection/VAC/AD/AD-2.LFRM.pdf
Customs/Immigration is again PNR 24 hours at Le Mans Arnage LFRM.

Join us if you wish.

EGLK, United Kingdom

Hello Jim, Colin

Thank you so much. Both suggestions are very useful indeed.

Colin, I like the idea of Le Mans a lot. I’ll just check with Rob if it’s of interest to him too.

Thanks!

EGSX North Weald, United Kingdom

Latest info

Looking forward to seeing you all. Fingers crossed for good weather.

Any questions, I’m only an email or a PM away !

1. Cost of “collective” transport (minibus etc) will be 40 eur per person.
As stated in briefing, all pilots are free to make their own arrangements if they prefer and can rent a car for the weekend and leave it at the airfield on departure.

2. Cost of Saturday night meal will also be 40 eur per person.
This includes :
-Pre-dinner drink
-Starter
-Main
-Dessert
-Wine
-Coffee

Hi Jim, Colin

We’re going to route as per your suggestions via KATHY and clear customers at LFOV.

Colin, we’re going to decline your kind offer of meeting at Le Mans to keep things simple on the way.

I look forward to see you all on Friday.

Russell
PS Do I recall you would like us to bring some grub for a BBQ?

Hi Jim, is there a car rental facility near the airfield ?

Jean
EBST, Belgium

Yes, you can rent a car locally and even leave it at the airfield when you depart.

If anyone wants to book one just let me know.

Hi everyone

A couple more questions if I may…

If we are working the FIS do you know if they co-ordinate Military transits etc?

We’ve filed a VFR flight plan from EGKA to LFOV Laval, is it recommended to file one from LFOV to LFCS?

We’re planning on departing Friday morning with a lunch stop at EGKA Shoreham (Pete are you going to be around?) as LFOV Laval won’t allow us in during lunch – midday to 14:100 local, so we won’t make it there before they shut from North Weald!

Arrival planned into LFCS Bordeaux for 17:00 Local.

If you mean Friday 1st Sep, I should be in Greece, otherwise I am always happy to meet up with someone (I live/work 20 mins away)

French ATC usually allows transits of controlled airspace (some of which, unlike the UK’s, cannot be practically deciphered from the map anyway, so this is just as well) and they tend to let you through danger areas (D), but the rest which are R or P they usually won’t. I always avoided all these in VFR flying there, as one does in the UK. But others here will know more about it. Be really careful with the nuclear power station ones. People sometimes plan to overfly them, which is OK (they are about 1000m AGL high) but then forget when forced down due to low cloud, and bust them.

If Saucats (LFCS) could get a policeman there to look at passports, they would get more people in from the UK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

FIS services can and do co-ordinate military transits depending on traffic levels. Sometimes you need to switch to the relevant military control frequencies.

The only one on the way down to Bordeaux is Cognac, but is quite easy to stay out of.

VFR flight plans within France are optional, however if you do file one, and you’re heading to an unmanned airfield (i.e. Saucats) don’t forget to close it! or you will set off a whole string of search and rescue operations (which you have to pay for). I have more than once had the police on the phone asking me if X aircract has landed safely.

You can close it on the radio or by phone once on the ground.

If you land at an airfield with an AFIS (like Laval), nothing to do because they close the FPL for you.

Last Edited by Bordeaux_Jim at 31 Aug 06:05
Sign in to add your message