Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Is this relevant to GA?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Malibuflyer wrote:

EU and Switzerland have a comprehensive set of cooperation contracts (“Bilateral Agreements”). These include e.g. free movement of persons and right of domicile.

That wasn’t what we were discussing

Peter foresees a position where a shorter notice period would be required for entering the UK from the EU (4 hours) than would be required to enter the UK from Switzerland (24 hours) if there was no agreement. I was asking why he thought the periods would differ. It wasn’t about cooperation between the EU and Switzerland.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

What is relevant to GA is that going to island of Ireland from the UK could potentially be getting a lot more expensive and tied up in red tape – no more flying direct to, say, Aughrim airfield in Northern Ireland, instead you’ll have to go to one of the airline airports first and pay a hefty landing/handling fee to clear customs.

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

My money is on 4hr GAR for all arrivals from the EU, 24hr for Switzerland etc

Why 24 hours from Switzerland as opposed to 4 hours from the EU? Two independent countries punishing each other?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Graham wrote:

So long as UK-EU relations do not deteriorate to the point where one side or the other moves to prevent dual citizenship….

They can prevent people getting the UK passport if they keep the other citizenship but can they force UK citizens to give up another citizenship they have?

Or the other way around?

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 10 Dec 10:19
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

dublinpilot wrote:

Peter foresees a position where a shorter notice period would be required for entering the UK from the EU (4 hours) than would be required to enter the UK from Switzerland (24 hours) if there was no agreement

What is funny is you can fly Switzerland to France on 1h notice and France to UK on 4h notice (bit like Jersey to UK via Calais)

I would not bother with Switzerland-UK notice being 24h as it takes 6h to land, in this case 4h PNR matters when flying 0.83Mach L2K-UK PNR being +6h will kill those all those 2h flights in 1 day shows

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Dec 10:23
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I don’t think anybody can guess what the UK will do on the post-brexit GAR PNR period – because the 4hr v. 24hr distinction is totally symbolic.

Why? Because the same police officers operate the GAR scheme, regardless of whether Customs is needed. Even the CTA (Ireland, NI, IOM, CI) which is supposedly handled by Special Branch is still now done by the same police officers. They meet you when they want a day out of the office, basically. Well, sometimes they act on specific intelligence (or unusual flight patterns; they do watch flight plans as well as FR24 – they told me so) but most of us are known to them and they are more relaxed then. The 4 / 12 / 24hr dictinction is basically all nonsense.

This is different from some European countries where strict Customs/Immigration job demarcation operates – see e.g. this for one such example which – in the “modern world” context – is really 100% about job demarcation. But some other countries do what the UK does; I have been flying to Croatia both before and after Croatia joined the EU, and it was always the same 1 police officer who looked at your passport. In Croatia, or the UK, nobody checks your GA luggage, or your wrist, to see if you are bringing in a CHF 20k PP watch

So why does the UK ask for 24hrs? Because it always has!

But everybody knows that a universal 24hr PNR will kill off much French traffic, which is a big part of the UK GA culture. Well, the ~few% of UK GA which travels abroad. So I don’t think this will happen, especially as the DfT is currently run by a GA pilot. So the two scenarios I see are (a) status quo, or (b) 4hr PNR for all of the EU and Switzerland+Norway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What if anything will happen to the cheap fuel we in the south can get up north? I can save about 70 c per litre by flying 30 mins to EGAB. Although the 12 hours notice is quite a pain for somewhere I can drive to completely freely.

EIMH, Ireland

zuutroy wrote:

Although the 12 hours notice is quite a pain for somewhere I can drive to completely freely

I’ve always wondered how the 12 hr GAR requirement is even compatible with the Good Friday agreement.

Andreas IOM

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Why 24 hours from Switzerland as opposed to 4 hours from the EU? Two independent countries punishing each other?

From what I have seen regarding the relationship Norway VS UK, there have been lots and lots of activity, but everything has been done very quietly. At this point in time, everything is pretty much in order, except a few things dependent of the relationship UK vs EU. I would think the UK has done the same exercise with Switzerland and other nations. What we see in the news is the UK leaving EU. We do not see how the UK creates and extends relationships with nations outside the EU, as this is not very interesting from a media point of view. This is also politics/business; better to have the media 100% engaged with UK-EU and nothing else. Then all the other stuff is left alone from the media hysteria, and can be done fast and efficiently.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message