Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

It is not clear to me that using only one passport and having the right to stay in another country indefinitely are mutually exclusive for people holding multiple citizenships. Holding a passport is not necessary to maintain citizenship.

Given that Peter is a CZ citizen, he already has the right to stay in the EU. I would think the issue is what minimum form of documentation is required to prove his existing status. The easiest one to produce might be a CZ birth certificate, but regardless it is not true that you must hold an EU national passport (specifically) to remain in the Schengen area – some residents do not. I’m not sure whether all legal full time Schengen residents mandatorily hold a national identity card with registered address by law, but whether they may use a passport from outside the EU is irrelevant except in a limited number of specific countries (Germany may be the only EU example?) that do not generally recognize multiple citizenships.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 03 Dec 16:50

And a citizen can ask for a nation’s passport at an embassy / consulate at any point in time, so no harm, no foul, and no reason to do it now because “brexit”.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Sorry, perhaps I confused ‘getting the passport’ with ‘ensuring one has citizenship’ for these purposes.

EGLM & EGTN
Or the Brits want to be treated like people not in the EU, so we are going to treat them like that.
Citizens of Mexico, Japan, Israel, … can visit EU visa free but not stay more than 90days in 180 days.
Same rules will apply to Brits in 29 days.

That’s a fair point of view, though I’m not sure that Mexico and Japan share quite the same cultural, military, linguistic, secutity and historical ties as are likely to persist between the UK and our friends in the Union.

Of perhaps greater significance is that from 2300Z on 31 December the UK and EU will share a 499 km long open “border”. Re-positioning Mexico, Japan or even Israel to create a similar infrastructure-free border would be quite an ambitious civil engineering project.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Nah, Graham, you’re good – as in, I’m with you and I don’t see how having a passport from country X can hurt you – you don’t need to show / use it.

Many people enter Poland on their Polish passport (EU line) and enter the US on their American passport (citizen line).

I happen know people who have two Polish passports, because they travel to countries that don’t quite like each other and don’t like to see each others’ visas / stamps in a passport.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Graham wrote:

On a more GA-related note, perhaps we end up with budensome GAR-type requirements for entering the EU (not via CAT) as non-EU citizens?

I doubt anything UK→EU to change that much as in most places customs = immigration for most EU port of entries (except handful exceptions), that was the case even before Brexit, the additional burden is mainly more delays and extra process, unlike immigration police where you can just land in Calais and depart if the guys are not there (worst case send a copy of passport of phone call), for “goods & vehicle import” we will surely have to “physically see them” before you go away (or leave without aircraft ), we will certainly need signatures & stamps on few forms before we can roam free, failing to get paper in good shape will make the exit harder and cost lot of money, 25% for vat & duty is a good number, unlike CAT where one only care about electronics or jewelries in their bags, for private driving/flying/sailing the 25% will include car/aircraft/boat values, of course one can hardly skip customs by car/boat but it’s easy to do by aircraft !

It’s more the arrival EU→UK GAR that will change a lot, of course not now as no one has the ressources to deal with the topic and we will get a blanket for the next 3 years but in 5 years we may have to land at Gatwick (or Biggin) first before going to Damyns Hall (or Enstone), not many are ready for this

I never flew America/Africa→UK, so can’t opine how this already works?
I flew direct Africa→France and Africa→Spain, the French experience was bloody painful on paperwork…

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Dec 17:27
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I happen know people who have two Polish passports, because they travel to countries that don’t quite like each other and don’t like to see each others’ visas / stamps in a passport.

This has been common here in the UK, because historically most of the Middle East would “lock you up” if you arrived there with an Israeli stamp in your passport. So the passport office would, on a special request, let you have two.

Assuming holding a particular country’s passport was a disadvantage I am not convinced that you could just choose to not show it, because (a) they might search you, or (b) if you ever previously showed that passport to anybody, it may be on various shared databases.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Assuming holding a particular country’s passport was a disadvantage I am not convinced that you could just choose to not show it, because (a) they might search you, or (b) if you ever previously showed that passport to anybody, it may be on various shared databases.

Well, having two different passports I can say that if you want to enter a country for which you have a passport, they want to see it, for them your other citizenships do not matter.
But, if you have, say, British and Czech passports, you can enter the US on either one.

EGTR

Ibra wrote:

but in 5 years we may have to land at Gatwick (or Biggin) first before going to Damyns Hall (or Enstone)

This is what it was like years ago, customs airport both in and out, fortunately Chris at Headcorn had this sorted for a £2 landing fee each way.

For the aircraft you needed a GENDEC that listed every piece of radio equipment and anything else installed/carried in the plane, so everything had to be exported and re-imported.

Its been a joy for the past 25+ years since all that came to an end, who knows where we go from here ?

That stuff isn’t coming back – exactly as not if arriving from Switzerland, Norway, Serbia, Albania, etc.

My money is on 4hr GAR for all arrivals from the EU, 24hr for Switzerland etc. Same as now.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message