Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Calling the Wind

10 Posts

What is your opinion on controllers who call the wind all the way down final on very windy days?

Maybe for possible liability protection in a Tower controlled ATC? Usually they do this when the crosswind component is above 15 knots, or gusts are taking wind above 25 knots.

Picking a gear collapsed GA aircraft off the runway can be a bit of a chore :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I would find it much easier if the controller give me one conservative headwind/cross wind component for the runway in use than him chasing the wind sock for direction and magnitude and me doing inaccurate conversions while on final

In places where runway is fixed, it may make more sense to broadcast headwind and cross wind components instead of W/V reading?

The other thing is which wind all the way down to final? the 50ft wind one or the one you are flying in? they can be very different in windy days…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Yes, tower controlled ATC, no response required, with no further transmissions from circa 200 feet. Today wind in excess of 35 knots.

It can be useful if wind is gusting. The landing is done on the wind as felt/seen from cockpit, but it can be a reason to go-around.
Following a Pa38, with wind light and variable, and in a surprising amount of turbulence, the call that there was suddenly a 15 knot crosswind was useful.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I recall flying once, coming in on runway 24 with winds at 180, 15 knots. Left wing down, right rudder and lined up, all was good. However the operator in the tower started giving me the wind every few seconds – 170 degrees, 17 knots. 190 degrees, 14 knots. Did it make a difference? No. In fact, it was distracting. Once I knew the wind’s approximate direction and strength, I could compensate for it.

Ok, so maybe for significant gust or direction variations, repeated info might help but can you honestly process the information given, when you’re on the most mentally challenging part of the flight? I can’t. Although I know I’d probably note the variation in winds by the fact that my control inputs need to be varied in order to keep myself aligned with the runway centreline.

EDL*, Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

Did it make a difference?</blockquote

Yes, in the case of operating under an AOC or ATO with FCM/SOPs in place. You would discontinue the approach if Tower reported out of limit winds.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

Steve6443 wrote:

Did it make a difference?

Yes, in the case of operating under an AOC or ATO with FCM/SOPs in place. You would discontinue the approach if Tower reported out of limit winds.

Two things – what if it’s not a towered airport? Which is where I do most of my flying. Additionally, I’m not flying under an AOC or ATO so the decision to continue is solely mine, the repetitive calling out of wind was annoying and distracting…..

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 29 Oct 19:49
EDL*, Germany

What are the requirments on ATC and how are they imposed?

I have seen similiar circumstances at different airports but with and without the wind being called.

I am guessing you can ask ATC to dissist as well if you prefer.

Steve6443 wrote:

the repetitive calling out of wind was annoying and distracting

So why not say “roger, no more wind calls, please”?

ATC, AFIS, whatever the unit is called – they are mostly trying to be helpful. Sometimes they guess wrong what is helpful to you.

Biggin Hill
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message