Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can one find out the reason for a Notam?

Just seen this strange one

It is on weekdays only and looks like maybe some sort of filming.

The NATS URL is useless.

What is “Bodega Bay”?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would simply your country’s NOTAM office.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Around here, one can not officially get the reason for a NOTAM from anywhere. I know this because lately one of our frequent destinations has been playing tricks with us by closing their airfield via NOTAM the night before our arrival, forcing us to divert elsewhere without any chance of notifying our passengers in advance. Our company has set a lawyer to the case, but so far he has been unable to find out what the reason for these closures is.

This “Bodega Bay” NOTAM to me looks as if there is an aircraft carrier or other warship lying there. Only that the USS Bodega Bay was a carrier in WW II…

Last Edited by what_next at 31 Jul 11:09
EDDS - Stuttgart

You could call the number in the NOTAM and find out. Or, as the NOTAM is only restricting flying below 3000 feet, you could always fly over the top and have a look.

If it was military, I would expect to see a Royal Navy contact.

My guess would also be filming. Here’s a link from a newspaper in Dorset referring to a production company called Bodega Bay Films Limited – Dorset Echo article

EGTT, The London FIR

Finners wrote:

My guess would also be filming.

That’s it certainly. According to the Internet Movie Database, “Bodega Bay” is the fake working title of the “Dunkirk” movie presently being filmed in Sussex ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5013056/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_dt_dt#akas and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkirk_(2017_film) ).

EDDS - Stuttgart

They have just spent a month filming here, based primarily at Lelystad and occasionally Hoogeveen – Spitfires, ME109 and Blenheim

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Three Spitfires took off in formation just before we departed from Lee on Solent EGHF this morning. I believe that they are based there all week, along with some large scale remote controlled models. Filming takes place Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday (nothing planned Wednesday).

Interestingly just to the west of the notamed area are four marker buoys that I don’t recall seeing before? I had a boat in Newhaven Marina for a few years, so know the waters reasonably well. In the area bounded by the new markers is a ship called Pacific Orca, which is used for erecting offshore platforms etc. I think that may be doing work on a new wind farm site? See Marine Traffic website for info. That site also shows the notamed area to be clear of all shipping, well those that send AIS data at least! The same alerting system is used for shipping, Notice to Mariners is the name of the system.

Yes, the wind farm is being constructed just to the East and the resultant carnage can be seen running across the Downs behind shoreham.

The area is being used for filming.

Bodega Bay

The place name is that of a nice coastal area north of San Francisco. I was last there a million years ago ago… it was cold and misty, the clam chowder soup was good.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 02 Aug 23:13
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message