Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Carrying a medical kit

I remember a YouTube vid, where an (overloaded) fourseater after a high DA-take off went into the wilderness. One of the passengers was filming the badly hurt (and bleeding) pilot after the crash, so I guess he’d been able to provide first aid to him – with the appropriate kit on board. Just an example…

If he could resist the urge to slap the pilot first!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

Regarding the Kitfox that would no more start: how was it started for the first leg

Generator failed. It had just enough to get started (Oh, it’ll charge when we fly around!) but only once. It was a 2 stroke Rotax.

That aircraft is now on floats. I’m told the climb performance is terrible!

Andreas IOM

I never carry one. If really necessary and I need something, I would tear clothes.

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

It’s mandatory on Croatian (9A) registry.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Band aids are really useful sometimes though… or do you just cauterize on the exhaust manifold to stop a cut finger bleeding?

I actually used mine last week (for the first time in 45 years of flying.)

I was taking a very elderly (100) and quite bulky war veteran, and it took a fair amount of effort to get him on board. In the manhandling, he managed to cut his shin quite badly.

We had a care worker from his care home who was, I think, a trained nurse and had all the expertise but none of the equipment required, so I whipped out my first-aid kit and all was well.

The question that occurs to me is to wonder if it is now no longer certified because the seal has been broken.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Mandatory on the EI register too, as far as I’m aware.

Used a plaster out of it one. That was it.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Timothy wrote:

The question that occurs to me is to wonder if it is now no longer certified because the seal has been broken.

I doubt it, as ours doesn’t have any seal.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Might need to replace that 45 yo bottle of Mercurachrome though Timothy!

Timothy wrote:

Certified? Generally speaking, what matters is that you have the prescribed contents and they are in a proper condition (bandages in their packaging, nothing expired, etc.). I’m not aware of any requirement to have the kit sealed.

AnthonyQ wrote:

or do you just cauterize on the exhaust manifold to stop a cut finger bleeding?

I don’t remember when was the last time I actually had to stop a bleeding. I clot very nicely (even being bitten by a big dog didn’t produce any running blood that I can recall). Not that band aids aren’t useful.

Sign in to add your message