Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Carrying a medical kit

I have a first aid kit but I confess it isn’t certified.

EGTK Oxford

All HA-reg planes that I saw had a first aid kit, so I guess it mandatory.

When I was doing my PA-28RT training after PPL the instructor accidentally closed the door of the crew van onto three of my fingers on my right hand. It became apparent rather quickly that there was no fracture, but only some soft tissue damage. Nobody really wanted to do anything, so I decided to take the issue in my own remaining hand and asked for a first aid kit. We almost took one from the plane, but found a spare kit that I used to bandage myself and go on with the flight lesson.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

In the UK, a full medical kit with the listed contents is mandatory on C of A aircraft under Scedule 4 of the ANO.

Last Edited by Balliol at 01 Jun 20:42
Now retired from forums best wishes

Looking at the prescribed contents of the medical kit I have to ask myself: smelling salts? Really? I did my elective in expedition medicine and the sight of 2 medical students and a gp trying to figure out a triangular bandage must have been high comedy. Only the cpr aid suggests to me that the list wasn’t devised in 1945.

For bumps getting in or out of an aeroplane they should have a kit at the airport, though perhaps not at farm strips. So mostly, the question should be ‘what is going to be useful on a forced landing?’ Perhaps an airborne MI would also be worth thinking about.

I like the gloves: even improvising, I’m leery of getting other people’s blood on me.

Geudel airways could make a difference for unconscious patients after a crash. There are some very nice lightweight limb splints available. Tourniquets are coming back into fashion. In a bleeding patient it’s always better to get a cannula in early before veins shrink, even though you won’t want to carry a litre of fluid to put through one. All of these require a modicum of experience to use properly.

Almost everyone with chest pain should get 300mg of aspirin pronto, soluble or chewed. Immodium, paracetamol, ibuprofen all potentially useful for non-pilots on a long trip.

The pre-hospital mantra is that the most important drugs are oxygen and diesel. There’s a limit even on what fully equipped paramedics can achieve. So two things you can say for plasters: they’re cheap and light.

kwlf wrote:

smelling salts? Really?

Where do you see those in the list? An EASA approved aviation first aid kit must contain these items (https://www.sellesmedical.co.uk/store/product/2883-Aviation-First-Aid-Kit-to-EASA-AMC-CAT-IDE-A-220-Standard):

EDDS - Stuttgart

The AFE medical kit or Las aero or Clayton medical kits si1993. Only just got a clever phone so not yet worked out how to post links.

I’m surprised epinephrine isn’t on that list.

Last Edited by Martin at 03 Jun 09:55

kwlf wrote:

he AFE medical kit

OK, that’s the “emergency medical kit” then. This must only be carried on airliners with more than XXX passenger seats (forgot the number, maybe 50?). And most important: It can only be used by a medical doctor or specially trained paramedics and not the aircrew or normal passengers.

In our yearly first aid refresher courses we always get told that we are not allowed to administer the medications contained in our standard first aid kit. Only a doctor is allowed to prescribe medications. All we can do is show them to the sick passenger and tell him to pick what he seems most appropriate for his condition. And then swallow it at his own risk.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I’m surprised epinephrine isn’t on that list.

In case you get a wasp trapped in the cockpit and get an allergic reaction?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

In case you get a wasp trapped in the cockpit and get an allergic reaction?

For one thing. Well, not me, I’m not allergic (at least I never had more than a small local reaction). For another thing, in cabin class commercial operations (where you can expect catering), you have food allergies to worry about. Usually, people with severe allergies know about them and the risk can be mitigated. But still, it doesn’t take that much space.

Sign in to add your message