Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna P210, what is there to know about it?

The P210 has always filled the position of the cheapest pressurized aircraft there is. From when it was initially released until today. That means you shouldn’t expect to get King Air or TBM. When it came out, it was a smashing success, for some reason very much so in Germany.

I have been close to several P210s and their maintenance for some years. It is a maintenance heavy aircraft because it is old, complex (in the number of systems) and the engine has to work very hard. Being on top of its maintenance and having a deep understanding makes a big difference. However, it will always be an airplane where there is a lot to do — most of the time.

spirit49 wrote:

NOPE, you wont be able to get to FL200 or higher at Gross. Never could.
But you can comfortably get to FL170. And that solves a lot of issues enroute IFR. Weather and direct routing.

That means you only have half of a P210. It is supposed to get to FL230 at gross and ISA and it should always be able to get over FL200. If you don’t use that and fly it only at FL170, your engine will probably like you very much (and cylinders last more than 600h) but you’re only using half of the plane and what it was built for. It is a FL220 aircraft.

http://www.onaircraft.com/the-planes/the-silver-eagle-ii/

The Silver Eagle turbine conversion appears to be now only for the 210 L,M and N? Am not sure if this reflects either a lack of suitable P210 airframes for conversion, or that the P210 airframes are getting long in the tooth.

The Silver Eagle P210 seemed like a good idea for bringing turbine reliability, and possibly lower maintenance, to the P210.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Spirit49,

You really climb LOP? That’s amazing. Never thought that to be possible.

EGTF, LFTF

achimha wrote:

That means you only have half of a P210. It is supposed to get to FL230 at gross and ISA and it should always be able to get over FL200. If you don’t use that and fly it only at FL170, your engine will probably like you very much (and cylinders last more than 600h) but you’re only using half of the plane and what it was built for. It is a FL220 aircraft.

To be honest, some of the performance data given on the P210 specs are a bit optimistic.
Trying to get to FL200+ when at gross is just painful.
When ROP, you throw between 29 and 31 GAL into the engine to help cool it.
After passing FL150, you have to start trading airspeed(and climb) for CHT.
I guess I could drop my 390F CHT limit and let it climb higher do get higher up, but I normally stop at FL160/170, then step climb as I get lighter.

Most P210 owners tell me they are happy at the sweet spot from FL150 to FL200. Only the P210R guys are up at FL230.

Quote You really climb LOP? That’s amazing. Never thought that to be possible.

Yes Sir.
The flower pot system is so inaccurate that we ended setting the magnetos at 23,9 degrees BTDC.
That balances the CHT vs EGT(TIT), so that you don’t go through the roof when going LOP at around 78% max BHP.
Its kind of stupid to have very low CHT(340F) and high EGT/TIT(1650) when at exactly 22 degrees BTDC.
Normal LOP climb at 17,5 to 18GPH gives max 375F CHT and around 1615F TIT.

Last Edited by spirit49 at 05 Sep 10:52
spirit49
LOIH

It’s the same engine as the original PA46 Malibu, which is set at 24 degrees BDTC, so that makes sense! Even though of course the installation matters a lot. The Lyco version is set at 22 degrees and is noticeably harder to run LOP (although mine works smoothly at 70% power, albeit with quite a bit of power loss if I want to keep my TIT at or below 1600). Your temps in the climb would freak out a Malibu driver I’m at TIT1450 and CHT<350 in the climb, burning 35usg. Maybe you’d find reaching FL220 easier ROP.

EGTF, LFTF

On hot days, or at Gross+, climbing LOP higher up doesnt work too well.

So often I revert too ROP to get up there. 31GPH

Cruise climb is often LOP, by just adding a bit fuel and MP.

Regarding TIT, the engine gurus claim you can stay close to the limit ALL DAY LONG.

For my installed turbo, the same is installed in another type of aircraft with a limit of 1750F.
So you shouldn’t damage anything by being above 1600F.
But I try to stay in the 1620 region.

spirit49
LOIH

Did anyone put a IO-550 or IO-540 on them as an STC? Would add about 50hp, which could probably be useful.

The RR250 on the Silver Eagle is probably the cheapest turbine there is to support and overhaul, so would probably be the best candidate for someone wanting a turbine on a high end piston budget.

spirit49 wrote:

Regarding TIT, the engine gurus claim you can stay close to the limit ALL DAY LONG.

That is true for the temperature of the turbo itself, but the placement of your TIT probe means you could be measuring gas that’s already cooled quite a lot. For example in the Mirage, the TIT probe reads 75 – 100 deg too cold.

EGTF, LFTF

denopa wrote:

For example in the Mirage, the TIT probe reads 75 – 100 deg too cold.

A TIT probe that is placed after the turbo? That doesn’t make sense.

If TIT is a problem, the timing is typically too late. This is why spirit49 moved it from 22° to 23.9°. I did the same on my bird to get the TIT down.

AdamFrisch wrote:

Did anyone put a IO-550 or IO-540 on them as an STC? Would add about 50hp, which could probably be useful.

Yep, see it here : http://www.vitatoeaviation.com/

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
Sign in to add your message