Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Choice of X or Y approaches at Oostende

Lille (LFQQ) has a choice of two RNAV approaches to runway 08, called X and Y.

Elsewhere I’ve seen plates vary depending on the category of aircraft, eg Cat C and D vs A and B. But these are both applicable to all.

One has a lower platform height than the other.

Given the choice (as I was recently by ATC), which would you choose and why?

(Sorry – got the wrong airport in the title at first, please ignore or change)

Last Edited by DavidC at 25 Apr 21:50
FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Is it really EBOS you are talking about? Neither Jeppesen nor AIP seems to show any RNAV approaches to RWY 08.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 25 Apr 20:28
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

“Belgium” and “RNAV approach” don’t really work together in the same sentence.

Sorry, brainfade, I meant Lille (LFQQ)

EGBJ, United Kingdom

OK, for the RNAV Z and RNAV Y at LFQQ, the principal aspect is probably not the platform height but the FAP distance from threshold. For the big iron, FAP at 5.6 NM (Y) may be uncomfortably close; conversely, for us little guys, FAP at 8.8 NM (Z) may be a waste of time. By a similar token, when vectoring you to an ILS, the ATC may ask if you will accept e.g. a 7 NM LLZ intercept or need more than that.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

@Ultranomad

Thanks. We did spot there were two options before our arrival but didn’t expect to be given the choice. ATC were vectoring us for spacing with other traffic, so I would have thought that would determine which would suit best. As it happens we did pick Y.

(@Peter: If possible, as moderator please correct the thread title to Y and Z approaches at Lille. Thanks)

EGBJ, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message