Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR22 crash in Gloucestershire N936CT

Ok, let me rephrase that, then. Spin testing for twins is not required for certifcation.

Biggin Hill

Adding to that – twins aren’t even tested for spinning,

Well you might just know that if you google the subject you’ll find an interesting clip about spin testing on twin engined aircraft:

jxk
EGHI, United Kingdom

No twin is certified for spinning

Adding to that – twins aren’t even tested for spinning, even to the bare minimum of the 1.5 turn required for any single to be certified. It is not part of the programme.

I’d love to see spin testing for an A380… that would be an impressive sight.

Biggin Hill

There are too many variables in a spin so no aircraft, even aircraft approved for spinning, is immune from the spin going rogue. In fact some aerobatic types have a history of pilots not recovering from a spin.

The BRS is a great concept and Cirrus now seems to be building a superior survivability safety record, possibly due to better training.

Now if they built an off road tailwheel version…

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

No twin is certified for spinning, and people aren’t scared of flying them. A twin in a spin will very likely kill everyone. A Cirrus in a spin might well recover and if the chute is used correctly almost certainly will. People seem to forget that when talking about the SR22 and spinning, which I find odd. The typical SR22 pilot is probably someone who could afford a twin if they wanted but are sticking to a SEP.

Touch wood but in 14 years of flying, I have yet to encounter an unintentional spin. Even when I stalled at the top of a loop upside down, I didn’t end up in a spin…….

EGHS

Thanks Jonzarno I will.

Obviously it is a decent piece of kit, and many are flying, without the issues that have been mentioned. I agree with Peter, that a lot of the incidents do appear pilot induced, which may be giving the type an unfair rep, bit like the initial V tail Bonanzas.

Will,investigate a bit further on the type..

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I don’t think there is anything wrong with an SR22 and the way it flies. If you want a modern IFR SEP that can be bought brand new, or even nearly new, there isn’t much choice.

To state the blindingly obvious: most of the chute pulls we read about took place in circumstances which make the pilot’s training, currency or decisionmaking very questionable… But that would not stop me from buying one.

There is perhaps an second order factor which is susceptibility to a more rapid than usual performance loss in icing conditions, which would more strongly dictate the TKS option. But the SR22 would be far from the only type to have that issue; all the fast modern “plastic planes” have it even if most of them are uncertified.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Beechbaby

Before making a decision, you might find it useful to take a look at the COPA site and ask some of these questions in the free Guest forum:

https://www.cirruspilots.org/copa/non_member/guest_discussion/thread-list.aspx

Whatever you end up doing: I hope it works out well!

EGSC

The parachute was accepted as an alternative means of complying with the spin certification, so Cirrus did not complete the test, although I see no reason why it shouldn’t pass.

It did pass when It received it’s EASA certification.

EGSC

Also I notice in the Australian case, the pilot applied pro-spin rudder during his attempted recovery…..duh!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
94 Posts
Sign in to add your message