Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR22G5

where in the POH have you find this? All I see in SR22 POH is

DA40-180 POH says to use alternate air in visible moisture, rain, snow.
DA42 POH (Diesel) too. And I can tell it is for good reason.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 16 Aug 14:04
LFPT, LFPN

Of course but I can recall several incidents where it wasn’t used leading to problems.

You must be referring to the springloaded alternate air doors in the (or at least some) turbo SR22. On most other airplanes, alternate air is controlled from the cockpit.

LFPT, LFPN

PA46 POH

EGTF, LFTF

I’ve bolded a relevant part for the turbo alternate air box to avoid discussing over 22 pages how ice particles turn around corners and freeze the flap shut.

Serials w/o Perspective Avionics: Induction air enters the engine through a filter mounted on the left, forward side of the engine then flows into the induction duct assembly mounted center, forward on the engine. The induction duct assembly employs a flapper valve which, in the case of filter blockage, or induction ice, allows alternate air to enter the induction duct body via a flexible duct open to the RH cylinder area beneath the baffling of the engine. The alternate air valve is manually controlled from the cabin by pulling a control knob mounted on the left side of the center console.

From the induction duct body, induction air
flows to the throttle body after which the air is distributed to each cylinder via the intake manifold and separate intake tubes.

Serials 22-0002 w/ Perspective Avionics: Induction air enters the engine through a filter mounted on the right, forward side of the engine. In the case of filter blockage, or induction ice, a flapper valve assembly allows alternate air to enter the engine via a flexible duct open to the RH cylinder area beneath the baffling of the engine. The alternate air valve is manually controlled from the cabin by pulling a control knob mounted on the left side of the center console. From the filter, induction air flows to the throttle body after which the air is distributed to each cylinder via the intake manifold and separate intake tubes.

Serials 22T-0001 & subs: Induction air enters the engine compartment through two NACA ducts located in the lower LH and RH cowls. The induction air is ducted to the air boxes which house dual air filters. From the air filters, the air flows through the intercoolers to the throttle body, and is then distributed to each cylinder via the intake manifold and separate intake tubes. An overboost valve, located on the outlet tube of the LH intercooler, provides overboost protection if the manifold pressure becomes too high.
In the case of filter blockage, or induction ice, alternate air can enter the engine via the alternate air assembly. A tube from each air box leads to the alternate air assembly at the front of the engine. A blast tube connected to the heat exchanger provides heat to keep alternate air assembly flap from freezing. Under normal conditions, the alternate air assembly flap is held closed by a strip of magnets. When the air flow decreases, a vacuum is created that overcomes the pull of the magnets and allows the flap to open. After receiving a signal from a switch mounted to the alternate air assembly, the PFD will display “ALT AIR OPEN” in a yellow caution box. 28 VDC for the digital instrument operation is supplied through the 2-amp
ENGINE INSTR circuit breaker on the Essential Bus.

denopa wrote:
POH says you should turn it on when in visible moisture

where in the POH have you find this? All I see in SR22 POH is “Alternate induction air should be used if blocking of the normal air source is suspected. Operation using alternate induction air should be minimized and the cause of filter blocking corrected as soon as practical.”

LKKU, LKTB

One thing that gets people into trouble with regard to alternate air: POH says you should turn it on when in visible moisture, even if you’re not in icing conditions, and leave it open until you’ve descended and spent a suitable amount of time in positive temps (whatever suitable means) or more likely until you’ve vacated the runway.

Why?

Climb through say 2k feet of moisture at +5c, get your intake filter soaked, climb to minus 5c VMC on top, “wait but why did my engine just quit?!??!!” Because you filter is now an icicle ;-)

Last Edited by denopa at 16 Aug 11:33
EGTF, LFTF

Aviathor wrote:

Now, how do you do that? That’s what you have alternate air for.

Of course but I can recall several incidents where it wasn’t used leading to problems.

EGTK Oxford

Didn’t Peter suggest that with propeller TKS activated, he didn’t have intake icing problem ?

Yes, true for the TB20 but it isn’t true for types which have the air intake on the side of the cowling e.g.

I don’t know where an SR22 has its intake however. The turbo version is on the side IIRC – discussion here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Didn’t Peter suggest that with propeller TKS activated, he didn’t have intake icing problem ?

Back to Baron and its operators.
How are they dealing with icing (other than with boots) and convection (other than with radar), if higher is not an option ?

ÉDIT: in other words, we could compare capabilities of Senecas (turbo) and Barons (NA). For myself, i never approached one or the other

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 16 Aug 06:29

dont get icing problems on unprotected surfaces like the intake.

Now, how do you do that? That’s what you have alternate air for.

LFPT, LFPN
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message