Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cloud break procedure

Where do you get your 550m/800m?

France

Does this mean the EU has legalised DIY letdowns, to any runway?

The UK has always had that, though arguably only for G-reg.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Does this mean the EU has legalised DIY letdowns, to any runway?

Read the rules and judge for yourself…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The UK has always had that, though arguably only for G-reg.

I linked UK rules of the air, and it seems it is quite clear you can only let down to MSA (1,000 agl) outside a published procedure IFR. In practice this is around 1,500’ agl once you apply RPS and 300’ for unmarked obstacles. 2,500’ in mountainous terrain.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

I linked UK rules of the air,

@RobertL18C, which rules of the air you’ve linked?
Look like CAT.

EGTR

That’s new because DIY approaches used to be totally legal.

If you descend only to the MSA, that isn’t a letdown. That is normal flight

The 550/800m is for autopilot v. no autopilot.

Administrator

If you descend only to the MSA, that isn’t a letdown. That is normal flight

Business as usual for IFR cruise under LTMA

Where do you get your 550m/800m?

It’s in LFFK IFR takeoff plates at the bottom r550m/v800m, maybe it’s wrong…however, as there is no departure procedure published for your runway, I am assuming you have to reach 2kft CAS/MVA/MSA in VMC on IFR takeoff from LFFK? (short of quantum teleportation or swallow do-it-yourself in clouds using HDG/OBS)

For arrival, LFFK has a cloud-break design, it’s top right of GPS approach, it’s written as RNP-A due to lack of ATS and the fact that the runway is not instrument

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Sep 19:26
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

On the topic of DIY let-downs, the UKANO and Rules of Air do prohibit doing these on Radio Aids (VLOC/NDB), say DIY approach to Stapleford VOR LAM is prohibited without ATC or AD owner permission, I can still fly it on wet compass though

Obviously, these don’t prohibit an IFR landing or departure,
- On wet compass using PLOG (dead reckoning in IMC )
- On GPS if one is PBN rated (NAVSTAR owns it )

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/3015/article/172/made

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/840/made?view=plain

Use of radio navigation aids
24.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), the commander of an aircraft must not make use of a radio navigation aid without complying with such restrictions and procedures as may be notified in relation to that aid.
(2) The commander of an aircraft is not required to comply with this rule if—
(a)the aircraft is required to comply with an air traffic control clearance issued for the flight; or
(b)the commander is otherwise authorised by an air traffic control unit.

Provision of air traffic services
172. In the case of an aerodrome (other than a Government aerodrome) for which there is equipment for providing aid for holding, aid for let-down or aid for an approach to landing by radio or radar, the person in charge of the aerodrome must—
(a)inform the CAA in advance of the periods during and times at which any such equipment is to be in operation for the purpose of providing such aid as is specified by that person; and
(b)during any period and at such times as are notified, cause an approach control service to be provided

France also prohibit the use and installation of ground Radio Navigation Aids on private aerodromes but no issues with IFR on GPS as long as it’s 1500m on the ground

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/codes/article_lc/LEGIARTI000006843811

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Sep 19:49

Well, this is a different thing.

I cannot do a DIY IAP to a controlled AD. Even in Class G, ATC decides what I can do inside the ATZ. Outside the ATZ, in theory they don’t have control but if there is a CAA man around when you call up on the radio and announce your intentions, you will get ATC in a whole load of trouble. This is a fact, not an opinion… The job demarcation principle is fully safeguarded at CAA level.

But AFAIK nothing outlaws a DIY IAP to your farm strip, etc. Or to an AFIS or A/G AD, although for above reason best to not announce on the radio that you are doing it.

Radio aids on a private AD? That’s a novel idea. Hey, there was a whole Thales ILS on Ebay a few years ago for 10k, IIRC. There is a website of a really smart guy in Slovenia who built his own radio aids. DME, etc. Obviously not really practical because if they find out you are radiating, you will get busted fast. DIY LPV would need a DIY GPS – done that one before (search for “hex block”).

Administrator

DIY LPV would need a DIY GPS – done that one before (search for “hex block”).

You can get DIY APCH LNAV+V with IFD +v12, GTN and G1000 Perspective to any runway in the database, you need to calculate your minima though…I am not sure you can get ever DIY LPV without coughing code yourself? we are talking 3D angular accuracy with 200ft DH bellow 300ft obstacles that are not surveyed plus you also need “Safety of Life” to get Cat1 which require EGNOS or TimeInSpace memberships

I only get DIY TERM RNAV1 on GNS430W, happy with 500ft above any 2D antennas (+/-2nm or +/-5nm to each side of my track)

Radio aids on a private AD? That’s a novel idea. Hey, there was a whole Thales ILS on Ebay a few years ago for 10k, IIRC.

Not in France, Chailly used to have an ILS when the 2km runway was bought by someone for his Falcon jet, few months after it was removed and sold, the jet now has to operate in VMC (at 250kts, that means 5km visibility & 1500ft ceiling )

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Sep 20:21
Sign in to add your message