Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cloud break procedure

Ibra wrote:

if they are IMC bellow MRVA

There is no IMC below MRVA in Germany, prevailing regulations supersede meteorologics. And: Never heard any such thing on the radio, either.

Last Edited by UdoR at 12 Sep 09:07
Germany

This is worth a read to anyone on the topic,

https://www.euspa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/uploads/safety_assessment_guidelines_for_ga.pdf

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Sep 08:53
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I take it as no one knows how to depart IFR from LFFK? not unexpected, we all do it by quantum teleportation when instrument procedures are not published

gallois wrote:

RNP A is an IAP

Of course it’s an IAP The ‘-A’ means it’s not straight-in IAP: you have to make ground contact then circle under IFR or fly visual segment under VFR, see PANS-OPS

gallois wrote:

1/ According to the FAA the term cloudbreak does not exist in the USA.

Neither RNP-A but they have “GPS procedure with circling/visual segment” (yes naming ‘RNP-A’ does not exist in US, I think they plan to rename according to ICAO standard by 2035)

https://bruceair.wordpress.com/2009/10/05/fly-visual-segments-on-lpv-and-lnavvnav-approaches/

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Sep 08:49

@Ibra. RNP A is an IAP
I have tried to do some research on cloudbreak and this is what I have found.
1/ According to the FAA the term cloudbreak does not exist in the USA.
2/ Other definitions describe it as an IAP based on a DME/localizer guidance where the missed approach is 5nm from the airport and 4400ft above it.
3/It is an emergency descent in case of engine out etc.etc
I can find no definition that describes an RNP A as a cloudbreak procedure. Perhaps you can point me there as you are so adamant.

France

gallois wrote:

I still have no idea what that R550 V800 refers to. I can’t find similar figures on the SIA eAIP chart.

So what is the visibility takeoff minima at LFFK? and how do you guys depart in clouds in say 1500m? how do you avoid traffic or obstacles? as you see there are lot of questions on how one operates in IMC without IFP…someone at LFFK should have done it once, please don’t tell me you guys only depart IFR when ceiling is above 3kft and visibility >5km as it’s the only way to enter Nantes Delta IFR in VMC without being on departure procedure

Remember the fact that Nantes ATC approve IFR startup and opening flight plan and that Jepps publish plates with 800m, does not mean the takeoff with 800m is legal as per RCA3 law 2019, and also in the case of a mid-air collision off route, one could argue that RCA3 legal interpretation means you need do VMC all the way to 2kft of Delta airspace or 7kft in Echo airway !!

I still also think the term " cloud break procedure" is a different thing and we have come well off topic

Again for 10th time, it’s a PANS-OPS standard, “cloudbreak” is instrument procedure not associated with airfield or runway, just is like the one with RNP-A or VOR-A or LOC-A just like in LFFK, LFMD or in LOWZ…there is a guy who crashed on the missed on a mountain at LOWZ was flying RNP-A, I one hope he know he was flying a “cloud-break” not a “straight-in”

I was looking to do VOR-A (flown on stopwatch) at Reims yesterday, it was not available due to some Balloons NOTAMS, have a look: it’s VOR-A not associated with any runway: you are dropped somewhere where you dead recon yourself to the runway, I still managed to cloud-break somewhere else and do the same, there was some holes here to descend on 1600ft overcast or scud run under all the way under but I don’t do any of that, not for me !

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Sep 08:14

@Ibra I still have no idea what that R550 V800 refers to. I can’t find similar figures on the SIA eAIP chart.
Yes at LFFK you do have to circle to land but it is not prescriptive other than you should not do it to the North of the field.
I am going to need to check something out with the regulators on this because:-
Before the arrête of 2019 one flew the 26 RNP( then called GNSS) procedure down to the 670ft minimum (if needed) before breaking left and circling to land. Still needed to get the parameters. And it did not specify how to get them.Eg runway in use.

Since 2019 as posted you descend to 670ft if needed get the parameters, the main ones of which comes from the wind sock before circling to land. The way I understand the sub texts is that you choose your own landing circuit as long as it is not to the North. ie you could conceivably fly over the wind sock (the signal square is no longer kept up to date) whilst checking runway for obstacles and then join your circuit midway downwind and turn left or right for either 26 or the 08.
I need to check whether one can get the necessary parameters from a 670ft circuit.ie still breaking left at minimums and circling. This could cause a safety issue as ULM tend to to circuits at 600ft.
Its an interesting issue which at present I do not have an answer for and have been doing what turns out to be my own thing rather than any written legislation. Does anybody on here have the answer?
I still also think the term " cloud break procedure" is a different thing and we have come well off topic.

France

I think with regards to the new AMC for non-IFP departures & arrivals

https://www.euroga.org/forums/flying/14231-cloud-break-procedure/post/324963#324963

It’s worth reading CRD on this law by individual NAA,
- UK CAA: no comment, happens in Golf stays in Golf (no one cares, just don’t bust airspace)
- German LBA: it’s clear that pilot skin will be peeled off if they are IMC bellow MRVA
- Swedish TA: objection as they wanted VMC on “the final part”
- French DGAC: GM to recommend VMC (non-IFP IFR entered in force in 2017-2019)

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Sep 22:33

DIY LPV would need a DIY GPS – done that one before (search for “hex block”).

You can get DIY APCH LNAV+V with IFD +v12, GTN and G1000 Perspective to any runway in the database, you need to calculate your minima though…I am not sure you can get ever DIY LPV without coughing code yourself? we are talking 3D angular accuracy with 200ft DH bellow 300ft obstacles that are not surveyed plus you also need “Safety of Life” to get Cat1 which require EGNOS or TimeInSpace memberships

I only get DIY TERM RNAV1 on GNS430W, happy with 500ft above any 2D antennas (+/-2nm or +/-5nm to each side of my track)

Radio aids on a private AD? That’s a novel idea. Hey, there was a whole Thales ILS on Ebay a few years ago for 10k, IIRC.

Not in France, Chailly used to have an ILS when the 2km runway was bought by someone for his Falcon jet, few months after it was removed and sold, the jet now has to operate in VMC (at 250kts, that means 5km visibility & 1500ft ceiling )

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Sep 20:21

Well, this is a different thing.

I cannot do a DIY IAP to a controlled AD. Even in Class G, ATC decides what I can do inside the ATZ. Outside the ATZ, in theory they don’t have control but if there is a CAA man around when you call up on the radio and announce your intentions, you will get ATC in a whole load of trouble. This is a fact, not an opinion… The job demarcation principle is fully safeguarded at CAA level.

But AFAIK nothing outlaws a DIY IAP to your farm strip, etc. Or to an AFIS or A/G AD, although for above reason best to not announce on the radio that you are doing it.

Radio aids on a private AD? That’s a novel idea. Hey, there was a whole Thales ILS on Ebay a few years ago for 10k, IIRC. There is a website of a really smart guy in Slovenia who built his own radio aids. DME, etc. Obviously not really practical because if they find out you are radiating, you will get busted fast. DIY LPV would need a DIY GPS – done that one before (search for “hex block”).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

On the topic of DIY let-downs, the UKANO and Rules of Air do prohibit doing these on Radio Aids (VLOC/NDB), say DIY approach to Stapleford VOR LAM is prohibited without ATC or AD owner permission, I can still fly it on wet compass though

Obviously, these don’t prohibit an IFR landing or departure,
- On wet compass using PLOG (dead reckoning in IMC )
- On GPS if one is PBN rated (NAVSTAR owns it )

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/3015/article/172/made

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/840/made?view=plain

Use of radio navigation aids
24.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), the commander of an aircraft must not make use of a radio navigation aid without complying with such restrictions and procedures as may be notified in relation to that aid.
(2) The commander of an aircraft is not required to comply with this rule if—
(a)the aircraft is required to comply with an air traffic control clearance issued for the flight; or
(b)the commander is otherwise authorised by an air traffic control unit.

Provision of air traffic services
172. In the case of an aerodrome (other than a Government aerodrome) for which there is equipment for providing aid for holding, aid for let-down or aid for an approach to landing by radio or radar, the person in charge of the aerodrome must—
(a)inform the CAA in advance of the periods during and times at which any such equipment is to be in operation for the purpose of providing such aid as is specified by that person; and
(b)during any period and at such times as are notified, cause an approach control service to be provided

France also prohibit the use and installation of ground Radio Navigation Aids on private aerodromes but no issues with IFR on GPS as long as it’s 1500m on the ground

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/codes/article_lc/LEGIARTI000006843811

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Sep 19:49
57 Posts
Sign in to add your message