Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CMD engines and the GF56 diesel engine

I came across this company http://cmdavio.com via their truck engines (don’t ask) and was surprised to discover their aviation engine line, I’d never heard of them. I couldn’t find actual planes they’re installed in though, does anybody know about it?

EGTF, LFTF

They say they have type certificates for their engines, but there’s no TCDS in the EASA database.

No I hadn’t heard of them either, and no memory even from Friedrichshafen.

The 6-cyl diesel looks nice with its 240 hp power but 220 kg might be a lot for many installations – depending on what is included (oil? coolant? …?)

I do observe they are located in Caserta, unfar from Capua where Tecnam is. Coincidence?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

220kg is in the same area as an IO540 but yes it depends on the detail. A TIO540 weighs some 30-50kg more than an IO540, for example.

But the same old factors remain… You need an STC and the installation must not cost more than a new plane Retrofit engines are priced to make sense at the ATPL-FTO-level annual hours (hundreds), not for the private owner who does perhaps 50hrs on average.

They say they have type certificates for their engines, but there’s no TCDS in the EASA database

It’s called aspiration

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t understand why they have a Cessna Caravan on their front page! They are nowhere near on par with a 600hp turbine.

But otherwise looking promising. The 300HP variant could be a big hit for commercial general aviation such as the 206 market, GA8 market.

Lycoming IO-540 weight 199kg
CMD GF56 weight 220kg

20kg payload sacrificed for what I assume is much greater range (lower fuel flow) and cheaper fuel. Sweet.

Reading further it looks like selling hot air. No recent news from the company?

However Continental have a 300hp diesel now weighing 265kg.

From their website, the company was bought by Loncin in 2017. It’s all Chinese now.

The engines look really nice though, clean and compact. The CMD22:

2.2L geared, 122 HP max (100 hp continuous) at 85 kg, air cooled.

The GF56 is a direct drive, flat 6, 2 stroke diesel.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Loncin has become pretty well known in motorcycling, and make something like 3 million motorcycle engines per year. If I remember the details correctly, the G-series BMW used a Rotax designed engine but BMW owned the engine design and moved manufacture to Loncin. The G-series wasn’t a huge seller, but it gave people something to talk about.

I saw them in Friedrichshafen, but unfortunately did not ask questions. In their website as well not much information. Fuel burn, price etc…
But could be good for future with less consumption and Jet fuel availability and price.

Latvia

They have a type certificate from EASA:

http://cmdavio.com/2018/01/25/cmd-obtains-easa-type-certificate-for-cmd22-gasoline-engine-in-vla-lsa-categories/

Not aware of any actual aircraft flying with it though.

EGTF, LFTF
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message