Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Transceivers

I am lookind to buy a hand held backup Transceiver.
I am not looking for GPS or VOR functions.
Any recommendations on what model to buy?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

FWIW there’s one on offer here but it is with VOR and LLZ.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Having flown around with a portable transceiver in my bag for many years, it has proved useful twice following electrical failures as well as monitoring solo students. I have never found any use for the VOR function hat was fitted As for GPS, the one thing it does not like is a transmitter immediately adjacenmt to it, so why not just get a decent radio and a seperate Nav device.

I recommend a Yaesu

FTA 230

I have a VXA 220 and work very well

The difference between 230 and 220 is the antena connector

saludos

pasion por volar
LEVX CERVAL

I am off to Japan over Easter and will have some free time. I was thinking of trying to pick up a Yaesu TIA exchange rate, but suspect that it is a pointless exercise as there is no meaningful GA market in Japan. Nevertheless, does anyone have any positive experience of picking up kit out there?

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

Nevertheless, does anyone have any positive experience of picking up kit out there?

I used to buy stuff in Tokyo but haven’t for a few years. I always used to look for a red “E” label which indicated that it was an export model with foreign language selection and an English manual.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Thanks; I tried some searches for aviation kit in Japan but what little there is tends to be at list price as most “stuff” is shipped to America or Europe. The cost of flying GA in Japan is beyond prohibitive (hence why I never bothered trying to learn in the 80’s when I lived there)… Will see if there is a Yaesu outlet store in Akihabara or something.

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message