Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Colmar LFGA RNAV 01 approach questions

There is an interesting note on both the AIP plate and the Jepp plate about climbing to 2000ft before accelerating:

which I guess means to climb ASAP to 2000ft before levelling off. But it seems very unusual!

There is also no holding pattern depicted but I guess ATC will sort you out.

Other French RNAV approaches do show a hold e.g.

What is one supposed to do upon flying the missed approach, in the lost comms scenario, or what if ATC want you to hold somewhere because there is an inbound etc? If there is no published hold, you have a problem with most GPSs in common use; most can’t fly a hold at an arbitrary point and such holds are not AFAIK trained outside the USA anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

which I guess means to climb ASAP to 2000ft before levelling off. But it seems very unusual!

That’s a totally normal noise abatement procedure for larger aircraft – only that the usual altitude is 1500ft. This is why they explicitly write 2000 here. If it is for noise abatement or obstacle or airspace reasons can only be guessed.

Peter wrote:

you have a problem with most GPSs in common use; most can’t fly a hold at an arbitrary point and such holds are not AFAIK trained outside the USA anyway.

Well, not the GPS but the pilot flies the hold And if you can fly a hold over an NDB, a VOR or a VOR-DME defined fix (which is part of the standard IFR training syllabus around here) then you should be able to fly it over a GPS fix I guess!

EDDS - Stuttgart

Holds are published on the initial approach chart (Jeppesen 12-1 and not 12-1A).

Acceleration altitude is very common. Airliners program their FMS with this value. It’s especially useful in case of missed approach with one engine out.

Although Zacc can be for noise abatment on SID, for missed approach, it’s usually for obstacle clearance.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 04 Dec 19:30

And if you can fly a hold over an NDB, a VOR or a VOR-DME defined fix (which is part of the standard IFR training syllabus around here) then you should be able to fly it over a GPS fix I guess!

OK but which way would the hold be oriented?

I can imagine the holding fix would be GA503. From the FAA IR I vaguely recall published holds are RH and unpublished are LH (or vice versa) but I don’t think that applies in Europe.

The “natural” hold at GA503 (coming on the missed from GA511) would be a RH hold because that takes you nicely to GA506 which you are done with it.

Holds are published on the initial approach chart (Jeppesen 12-1 and not 12-1A).

Not in any obviously useful place:

HO is way too close to the airport to climb into if going missed, and ALTIK is a long way away.

Administrator

Interesting side observation: Meyenheim is closed? Permanently?

Edit : obviously since 2010… must have missed that

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 05 Dec 10:34
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

There is an interesting note on both the AIP plate and the Jepp plate…

Just dug out my iPad with Jeppesen Mobile FD. Jeppesen does not (yet) have that GNSS approach to runway 10 in the mobile FD database. On the approch plate for runway 19 it has a tiny little inset showing the hold over HO. Typically, if you can’t make it to the specified missed approach altitude before the holding fix you continue climbing in the hold.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Sorry… not sure which airport you refer to, WN. At Colmar LFGA you would be climbing in the hold right after takeoff

which seems a strange way of diverting the pilot’s brain, at a busy stage of flight (gear up, clean up, engine management, etc).

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Sorry… not sure which airport you refer to, WN.

Now I found it… yes, there is an RNAV approch to runway 01 in Jeppesen mobile FD, split over two charts (initial Apch and final Apch). If I interpret them correctly, then the hold over “HO” is only part of the initial approach, just like the hold over ALTIK when coming from the south.
There is no hold for the missed approach which ends at point GA503. From there you either turn right for another approach via GA506 (which is what I would do in case of lost comms if there is any chance that a second approach will be successful) or follow ATC instructions to join one of the two holds.

Peter wrote:

At Colmar LFGA you would be climbing in the hold right after takeoff…

On the NDB approach plate for Runway 19 (chart 16-1) you can see that the NDB is only one mile from threshold 19 – or about 2NM from threshold 01. Which is, as you rightly state, much too close to join right after a go-around – even if you start your GA one mile before the threshold which is where your minimum can be expected. Still too close, therefore this is not the hold to join after a GA into runway 01.

EDDS - Stuttgart
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message