Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Communicating personal data via the radio

Patrick wrote:

Aviathor wrote:
Lots of people record transmissions on aviation frequencies and publish them on the internet.
[…]
Anything you say in the airwaves is public knowledge
Not in Germany!

Right, because the people who are going to copy down your info and use it are law abiding citizens and would obviously respect privacy laws….dah!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

AnthonyQ wrote:

Right, because the people who are going to copy down your info and use it are law abiding citizens and would obviously respect privacy laws….dah!

You’ve probably never seen Germans stand at a street crossing at 2am and waiting for the green man to come onto the traffic lights with nowhere a car in sight…

Nah don’t worry, we’re aware of the differences between what’s legal and what is done. I’d be very reluctant to give personal information on an aviation radio frequency.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

AnthonyQ wrote:

I didn’t say that.

Of course, it’s dead easy to do that and if it were common to pass on credit card info on aviation radio frequencies, that data would be very unsafe.

I said regarding Germany, it’s not true that “lots of people (compared to other countries) record transmissions on aviation frequencies and publish them on the internet”. There’s no liveatc culture and if you record your own radio transmission and ATC for a youtube video, somebody is going to point a finger at you and say “you know that’s illegal, right?” – so many people just don’t do it. I’ve done it sometimes, but rarely.

As a function, I’d say your credit card data on German aviation channels is reasonably safe. Still I wouldn’t advocate doing that.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I doubt the internet is the problem. It will be the hordes of plane spotters who hang out at the busier airfields, with cameras and VHF radios. They will be listening on the frequency allright, regardless of privacy laws.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I doubt the internet is the problem. It will be the hordes of plane spotters who hang out at the busier airfields, with cameras and VHF radios. They will be listening on the frequency allright, regardless of privacy laws.

After my trip to Hannover EDDV I googled the local planespotting community to see if anyone posted photos of me arriving. They didn’t, but judging by their forum they are very active and somewhat organised, though focused on CAT. I’m pretty sure you are right about them having radios as well, though that is legally quite difficult in Germany (you cannot just buy a handheld radio here either, in theory at last)

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

you cannot just buy a handheld radio here either, in theory at last

Not?

https://friebe.aero/Flugfunk-und-Zubehoer/Empfangsgeraete—-Scanner/Flugfunkempfaenger-Albrecht-AE-33-H.html

Privacy, secrecy etc. None of this can be claimed unless an active measure exist to protect it. That measure could be as simple as a closed (but unlocked) door, or it could be more complex, like encryption. Air band communication is per definition official, it’s like yelling out load in the center of a mall. That’s how it is here in Norway. The Police had to change to encrypted communication because of this. They claimed they could simply create a law/regulation making it illegal to listen and distribute police communication, but they found out eventually, that such a law/regulation would in fact be illegal (without first applying measures to protect it).

I have no problems giving my name, age, color of my eyes etc on the air band. I have nothing to hide in that respect. Credit card numbers, PIN codes and so on is another matter of course.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The PIC contact info should be in the flight plan so they can just call after the flight. I would never provide any such information on the airwaves.

After landing at an ATIS field in Germany I was called by Frankfurt because the AFIS had not closed the FPL, so they do have the information.

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

The PIC contact info should be in the flight plan so they can just call after the flight.

Well, 90% of my flights at least are not on a flight plan…

Aviathor wrote:

The PIC contact info should be in the flight plan so they can just call after the flight. I would never provide any such information on the airwaves.

It’s in the supplementary information which is not distributed everywhere.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO
Sign in to add your message