Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Communicating personal data via the radio

In the US the supplementary information does reach flight service. I learned this many years ago when FSS queried why I had not provided a contact number on the FPL. “It’s in England” I protested thinking notifying relatives of my demise etc.. “No”, the agent said, “It’s so we can call you if you forget to cancel. Don’t you have a cell?”. So I sheepishly gave him the cell number over the air. Doh!

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

JnsV wrote:

It’s in the supplementary information which is not distributed everywhere.

The supplementary information is normally not distributed at all. It is sent on special request. Typically if an aircraft is overdue and SAR is required.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

achimha wrote:

It was not meant as a data protection measure but to keep the telex messages small by omitting information that is not required by all stations.

I see. I had believed that it was mainly for data protection, but in this case my belief was not correct.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

This ATC recording thread is probably relevant.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But it is available if they really want it.

LFPT, LFPN

LeSving wrote:

That’s how it is here in Norway.

Exactly but last time I checked, Norway was not the only country on this planet.

JnsV wrote:

t’s in the supplementary information which is not distributed everywhere.

Every station getting the FPL can request the supplementary information. It was not meant as a data protection measure but to keep the telex messages small by omitting information that is not required by all stations.

Last Edited by achimha at 16 Aug 14:49

Aviathor wrote:

The PIC contact info should be in the flight plan so they can just call after the flight. I would never provide any such information on the airwaves.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

Aviathor wrote:

The PIC contact info should be in the flight plan so they can just call after the flight.

Well, 90% of my flights at least are not on a flight plan…

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

The PIC contact info should be in the flight plan so they can just call after the flight. I would never provide any such information on the airwaves.

After landing at an ATIS field in Germany I was called by Frankfurt because the AFIS had not closed the FPL, so they do have the information.

LFPT, LFPN

Privacy, secrecy etc. None of this can be claimed unless an active measure exist to protect it. That measure could be as simple as a closed (but unlocked) door, or it could be more complex, like encryption. Air band communication is per definition official, it’s like yelling out load in the center of a mall. That’s how it is here in Norway. The Police had to change to encrypted communication because of this. They claimed they could simply create a law/regulation making it illegal to listen and distribute police communication, but they found out eventually, that such a law/regulation would in fact be illegal (without first applying measures to protect it).

I have no problems giving my name, age, color of my eyes etc on the air band. I have nothing to hide in that respect. Credit card numbers, PIN codes and so on is another matter of course.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message