Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Concurrent filing of a VFR and a Eurocontrol IFR flight plan

I do not think we as pilots should deal with FPL addressing, this needs to be done by ARO where you filled youf FPL. Unfortunatelly it`s not the case for some providers, just recentrly learned eurofpl has issue with correct addressing VFR portion of their flight plans. No mode details yet.

LKKU, LKTB

I dont get it – surely you or the unit must activate the plan on departure? If it isnt activated, it doesnt serve any purpose. I can understand that you have the option between which plans to file before you depart, but having made that decision you are on one or the other?

Surely deaprting from a ATC unit they will want to know which plan you are filing otherwise how can they give you your clearance? If it is uncontrolled then you will still need to select one or the other once airborne?

My small airfield Sandtoft EGCF is on the edge Doncaster EGCN zone.
I use Skydemon and they (SD) told me to ‘add’ EGCNZTZX. By doing this I can get them (Doncaster) to ‘activate’ / ‘close’ when there is nobody on the radio at Sandtoft EGCF.
I always ‘add’ EGCNZTZX just in case I need them to be in-the-loop – without that they do not get addressed.
Is xxxxZTZX a standarded ‘syntax’ that can be added to any ICAO airfield code ?

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 22 Nov 21:25
Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

WarleyAir wrote:

Where can I find a list of these VFR flight plan addresses (Europe)?

In the AIP section ENR 1.11.

We have converted the plain language rules into a machine readable format:
https://www.autorouter.eu/wiki/flight-plan-addressing/

LSZK, Switzerland

surely you or the unit must activate the plan on departure?

Yes; this is where my world domination scheme falls apart

The guy in the tower might just cancel one of them (the wrong one) for you!

Is xxxxZTZX a standarded ‘syntax’ that can be added to any ICAO airfield code ?

Yes.

ZTZX is normally the airport tower. Another standard one is ZPZX but both tend to end up on the same terminal.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That’s what SD told me. ZTZX is tower and ZPZX (whatever it stands for) ends up by ending up at the same place.

WarleyAir wrote:

ZPZX (whatever it stands for)

ZPZX means ARO. If the airport doesn’t have its own ARO, then it is quite possible that any messages sent to --ZPZX are actually sent not to the airport but to an ARO somewhere else. (E.g. a central ARO for a whole FIR or country.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

ARO = Airport Reservation Office or Airport Reporting Officer ????

ARO = Airport Reservation Office or Airport Reporting Officer ????

I don’t have a clue what it means, but there was a comical story about the UK, when the FBUs were shut and they tried to get everybody to use AFPEX.

Somebody pointed out that the UK has an ICAO obligation to accept flight plans from pilots – by implication handwritten ones on the standard paper form, and at the airport tower. But this is only if there is an ARO

I once tried to get a NATS guy to come up with a list of UK airports which have an ARO but never heard from him again

Oh BTW they also forgot that the UK does get foreign pilots visiting and they can’t get AFPEX because it needs a UK address and some vetting. So they had to climb down and the AFPEX office supposedly accepts flight plans by phone or fax. Obviously they don’t advertise this, and according to a posting by someone there they had to “re-educate” some of their staff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Michal wrote:

I do not think we as pilots should deal with FPL addressing, this needs to be done by ARO where you filled youf FPL.

If I fly VFR from Albania to the UK, you honestly think that the ARO in Albania is qualified to figure out the addressing? Usually the AROs know how to address in their own country and maybe to some degree the neighboring countries but that’s it. Even a fairly competent ARO like in Germany uses a combination of hand written lists and personal experience to try to do the addressing to the best of their knowledge. Those lists are neither always correct nor up to date.

There simply is no alternative to using software to do the addressing. Unfortunately the AROs rarely have such software…

Sign in to add your message