Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

confusing Class B airspace in Holland?

I just updated the data on my Sky Map with the 2016 ICAO charts for (e.g.) Holland and Belgium and was surprised to see some Airspace in Holland classified as Airspace B and A at the same time – is there any reason for this? The area I am referring to is Bravo Airspace between FL65 to FL195 overhead (e.g.) Breda – in this same airspace towards the south of Breda you see a label classifying the airspace as A from FL95 to FL195, or, as a more crass example, directly above Utrecht is the Schiphol TMA3 showing Airspace A from 2500 to FL95 but the outline of the Class B airspace is clearly visible.

Anybody like to explain what gives? How can a piece of airspace be simultaneously be Class A and verboten for VFR yet also be Class B and hence theoretically accessible for said bimblers? Or am I missing something???

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 30 Sep 11:56
EDL*, Germany

It is explained in the Dutch AIP, see attached image.
In short the military Nieuw Milligen TMA is class B from FL065 upwards, however some parts of this TMA are overlapping with Amsterdam CTA1 which is class A from FL055 upwards, those parts are excluded from the Nieuw Milligen TMA and thus class A. Obiously the Dutch airspace structure far too complicated, so complicated that your Sky Map can’t handle it.

PapaBravo wrote:

Obiously the Dutch airspace structure far too complicated, so complicated that your Sky Map can’t handle it.

Nothing to do with Sky Map as the charts which are displayed are ICAO conform, issued by the DFS. Attached is what I see. Looking at the Dutch AIP and, seeing the use of different colours for Airspace Echo and Bravo, I can (finally) understand what they were trying to do….

EDL*, Germany
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message