Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Connecting a hand held radio to an external antenna (and why have a handheld radio?)

After 20+ years VFR and IFR, I have come to the conclusion that no handheld radio at all is best

That is probably because for most (all?) “serious” trips you use the SR22 which has two alternators. So your chances of a total loss of electrics and needing to use the radio are quite small.

I’ve never had a total loss of electrics but plenty of other people have. Fortunately most people do only short trips in good wx so it is rarely a disaster.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve never had a total loss of electrics but plenty of other people have.

But what does the radio help you if it‘s IFR and all your electrics are gone?

The ‘sleepy regional airports’ are the worst, at least in Germany … and I think landing there without radio would be my very very last option to take.

So what do you fear? If you still have a transponder, then they will keep others away from you anyway. If you don‘t, then you will very likely not have a navigator either.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

But what does the radio help you if it‘s IFR and all your electrics are gone?

Fly an ILS – which is why I have the Yaesu 750

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In my case there is a couple more aspects to this.

With modern com boxes having a monitor and standby functions plus the option of next freq being offered through a GPS I really don’t think Comm2 serves much purpose.

Cost is also an issue as to replace my current 25mHz radio it’s going to.set me back 6 grand. And as I already have an external antenna there is no cost there.

I carried an Icon in the Jodel from 1991 until 8.33 came in. I had to use it several times. Citroen 2CV electrics were unreliable after 40 years.
Good range, just its own aerial
I replaced it with an Icon 8.33. I’ve used it once, and it’s range is much less. Fortunately Bolkow electrics seem more reliable at 55.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I use my iCom to get ATIS and communicate while on the ground (IFR clearance, release delays, etc). I did some tests in the air to check the range and found it to be pretty useless much outside the traffic pattern area. IIRC the most I ever managed was about 5 miles, which of course would be more than enough if approaching an airport and otherwise being NORDO. Only have the built-in antenna. I never tried to fly and ILS with it (mine has the capability), should actually give that a go one day.

Last Edited by 172driver at 27 Dec 22:25

172driver wrote:

IIRC the most I ever managed was about 5 miles, which of course would be more than enough if approaching an airport and otherwise being NORDO. Only have the built-in antenna. I never tried to fly and ILS with it (mine has the capability), should actually give that a go one day.

The external antenna makes a huge difference in range and clarity. @Dan reported that he used the Yaesu 850 to fly an ILS in VFR conditions and it worked very well.

With the built-in backup batteries available in GPS/AHRS equipped AI’s, there are a fair number of GPS-based options for navigating if the electrical system is down. The Dynon D3 claims 6+ hrs on a fully-charged battery which should be enough to get one onto the ground except perhaps on an oceanic leg. Comms options less so, and that is for me the prime reason for the hand-held, besides the ground ATIS and clearance with motor off. I also think trying to talk and navigate using a single ICOM or Yaesu handheld would be very challenging in what is already a stress situation if IFR.

LSZK, Switzerland
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message