Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cost effective flying

I’ve recently got my PPL and paying for it was quite a challenge. Now I’ve got it can anyone suggest ways by which I can do more flying whilst keeping costs as low as possible. I already get together with a couple of friends so we can cost share, renting from the local club, but what other means are there to reduce costs?

First of all: very much welcome here!

Depending on where you are, a CofA* plane might be the most expensive option. Experimental/homebuilt, LAPL, microlights are generally more affordable (though with experimentals the cost can be quite variable). Perhaps a TMG (touring motor glider) might appeal to you, but in some countries it requires a different licence.

If in the UK, you could seek to join a syndicate, there are many and members come and go, in some, as I understand. Netherlands has several syndicate-owned planes, too.

But you had better give some more information: where (roughly) are you? What kind of flying do you wish to do? This will reflect on the requirements, regarding weight, engine power, instruments &c. Any estimate how much you are going to fly? In most countries, renting from a club will be the most affordable option unless you fly quite a lot of hours.

• Certificate of Airworhtiness – a plane of a type certificated as such, with mandatory periodical maintenance by a company with the required authorisations. Say your typical C152, C172, PA28 and the like.

[[ edit: from your other post, I gather you are in SE UK ]]

Last Edited by at 18 Jan 12:08
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Suzy,
Make friends with aircraft owners!

Forever learning
EGTB

I’ve recently got my PPL and paying for it was quite a challenge. Now I’ve got it can anyone suggest ways by which I can do more flying whilst keeping costs as low as possible. I already get together with a couple of friends so we can cost share, renting from the local club, but what other means are there to reduce costs?

The obvious choice is to go ultralight, but that is probably not what you are looking for.

It depends where you are and which options are available. It is probably more practical to look at it from another angle: How much time and money are you planning to spend? If it’s not that much, then renting is best. If it’s a lot then it’s better to get your own aircraft. It also depends on how much of a mechanic you are.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I’ve always maintained that anyone can afford to fly. Even working at McDonalds, one could afford to own and fly an airplane. Aviation can be horrendously expensive if one wants it to be, but it can also be very cheap. It just needs the right sizing to the budget. If you worked at McDonalds and made say £16K/year, you could own a permit type plane like a Jodel or something similar and fly it on that salary. Acquisition not more than a used car, and upkeep would be in the £2-3K a year category. The rest is just fuel. Doesn’t get much cheaper than that. I doubt you could drive a car for less.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 18 Jan 14:41

Adam, that is a nice picture. I can’t help feeling it is a bit simplistic. Did you also allow for hangarage (an absolute requirement for a Jodel!), insurance, renewal of license and medical, and (not least) the cost of travelling to/from the field? If I see even Jodels are operated by syndicates in the UK, though they must indeed be about the most economical PPL plane possible, there must be a reason.

Last Edited by at 18 Jan 15:20
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Suzy, I was in a similar place to you. I used to cost share with a friend who I did my PPL with. We paid for the hours we flew, but we were still paying Club Rental rates. I found visiting airfields close to me and looking at the notice boards for shares for sale. There is another thread on here about the pros and cons of syndicates, but in my experience, as long as you take a little bit of time to talk to the members and make sure that you are like minded they work well and you can have some really cheap and fun flying.

Last Edited by italianjon at 18 Jan 16:56
EDHS, Germany

http://afors.com/index.php?page=adview&adid=31543&imid=0

1. Find a local friendly farm strip with a hangar, hangar rentals usually quite reasonable for a strip.
2. Become a CRI so you can sign off tail wheel differences training, no need for an ATO.
3. Sell shares to wannabee hour builders with an option to repurchase for a nominal amount after 100 hours, the cost of the shares to cover tailwheel conversion and 100 hours of engine reserve fund, wear and tear depreciation/maintenance and indirects (hangar, insurance, licencing) – the aircraft would then be available on a wet hourly rate to cover oil and fuel for 100 hours.

You will probably have to conduct training at an airfield for good neighborly reasons, and agree a landing card for training.

Two or three wannabees per year would ensure your flying is free, possibly even a small contribution to your own flying fuel budget. The wannabees are probably saving £5k on typical club rental rates.

Business model might not work if near a large urban area.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Aviation can be horrendously expensive if one wants it to be,

You should know Adam!

Egnm, United Kingdom

Hi Suzy

I got my PPL last year and am just now looking at a share in a tailwheel: share is £1,000, £50 pm and £60 ph wet and this covers all costs, engine having just been overhauled. For the amount I spent in club renting, I could have flown way more than 50 hours. Admittedly, this share is for a 45 year old aircraft which is not much to look at, but I had a short flight in it today and it was delightful handling. It suits my purposes for now. I just need to learn how to land with a tailwheel but as there are instructors in the syndicate, that is not charged. Depending on the type of flying you want to do, check out shares or as suggested above, look at a group buy.

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)
79 Posts
Sign in to add your message