Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Could this be a defence to an alleged airspace violation - a misconfigured transponder?

Somebody in the US yesterday with my Mode S config:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No defence at all Peter, because you are well known to make silly long trips

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I suspect this being some kind of ADS-B out device, since the squawk remains at 0000 throughout the flight. Probably one of those the owner can configure on his own?

ESME, ESMS

Exactly as I suspected. I found the culprit: N413AC

ADS-B out: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n113ac#25bb409b
Mode S: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n413ac#25bb2af0

Exactly the same path, same time, very similar callsign.

Last Edited by Dimme at 10 Oct 20:07
ESME, ESMS

I thought Mode S was not big in the US anymore…

@ncyankee may know more about this.

I don’t particularly want my tail number to be seen busting Area 51

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

All aircraft with a transponder emit Mode A/C/S.

ADS-B out is simply Mode S with more data on-top (Extended Squitter), which may actually be provided by a completely separate device like a uAvionix tailBeacon or SkyEcho 2.

A misconfiguration in that second device would show up like what happened in your case.

Last Edited by Dimme at 10 Oct 21:53
ESME, ESMS

Peter wrote:

I thought Mode S was not big in the US anymore…

@ncyankee may know more about this.

N113AC has a hex code assigned of A0375B
N413AC has a hex code assigned of A4DF48
The aircraft in question is a 2019 SR22 which has only an ADS-B Out via a Mode S/ES transponder, so the transponder itself would have to have the incorrect N number entered into it.

Peter, if you wish, I can most likely contact the pilot to have him check.

Actually about 80% of the ADS-B installations in the US use 1090ES which uses a Mode S transponder. The other 20% use mode A/C and a UAT based ADS-B Out.

Current numbers for ADS-B equipped aircraft as of 10/1/2020 is 147,414 aircraft, 14.059 of which are not compliant.Dimme wrote:

All aircraft with a transponder emit Mode A/C/S.

ADS-B out is simply Mode S with more data on-top (Extended Squitter), which may actually be provided by a completely separate device like a uAvionix tailBeacon or SkyEcho 2.

A misconfiguration in that second device would show up like what happened in your case.

All transponders in the US are not mode S, it is not required and a mode A/C transponder only replies with altitude and squawk code. In the US, ADS-B Out may be based on a mode S transponder with ES or can be using a UAT ADS-B Out system that is separate from a transponder. In my aircraft, I have a mode S transponder and a separate GDL88 UAT based system. Many have UAT based systems and a mode A/C transponder.

KUZA, United States

I called the pilot and ATC got his N number wrong. His transponder was setup correctly and later in the flight he corrected ATC. That is why there is a duplicate record, one for N113AC entered by ATC for the flight and the other tracked by his actual ADS-B Out broadcasts, which was for N413AC.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

All transponders in the US are not mode S

They don’t have to be. A separate device can still emit Mode S (ES) with a Mode C transponder installed on the aircraft, or no transponder at all.

NCYankee wrote:

a mode A/C transponder only replies with altitude and squawk code

That why this link doesn’t report any squawk code, it’s not a transponder: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n113ac#25bb409b

NCYankee wrote:

I called the pilot and ATC got his N number wrong. His transponder was setup correctly and later in the flight he corrected ATC. That is why there is a duplicate record, one for N113AC entered by ATC for the flight and the other tracked by his actual ADS-B Out broadcasts, which was for N413AC.

So was that a retransmission by ground stations that the FR24 receivers picked up?

Last Edited by Dimme at 10 Oct 22:32
ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

They don’t have to be. A separate device can still emit Mode S (ES) with a Mode C transponder installed on the aircraft, or no transponder at all.

That would not be allowed in the US.

Dimme wrote:

So was that a retransmission by ground stations that the FR24 receivers picked up?

The flight plan was tagged up by the ATC computer with the wrong N number based on a controller error. ATC sees a fused target which consists of radar returns merged with ADS-B and Multilateration. The controller would probably have also seen a Flight ID mismatch indication.

KUZA, United States
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message