Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PA46 Malibu N264DB missing in the English Channel

AFAIK the seat does not matter (unless the POH stipulates otherwise) but in this case it is immaterial because as far as we know there was nobody else aboard; just the passenger.

As posted already, the PA46 piston is perfectly fine to be flown at 2000ft, 5000ft, or whatever low level, and they frequently are, especially by pilots without an IR. Look up the Dunkeswell PA46 crash, for example; thread here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I completely agree. The discussion about levels is really irrelevant to a non turbine. There is obviously some fuel saving with altitude, but in the big picture it would have little consequence on this flight unless there were some significant loading / fuel issues which seems very unlikely. The aircraft will fly just as well at any of these heights or levels, even if the sweet spot for performance is cited to be in the mid 20s. The PA46 can even go flat out below 10,000 feet without exceeding the speed limit!

I have always understood that aircraft departing France for international destinations at night must be under IFR. Is that not the case?

Pilot-H wrote:

I have always understood that aircraft departing France for international destinations at night must be under IFR. Is that not the case?

No, that can be done VFR at night.

ELLX

lionel wrote:

No, that can be done VFR at night.

And typically nobody will check your license on departure.

Let me speculate (all hypothetical with little/no supporting evidence):

FAA PPL, no IR.
Questionable currency (BFR etc).
Medical? Limitations (ie colour blind)?
Some sort of ‘commercial’ arrangement which may well contravene FARs and/or UK/EASA legislation.

The outcome? A pile of civil claims, driven by various insurers wanting to minimise their exposure.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Dave_Phillips wrote:

Let me speculate (all hypothetical with little/no supporting evidence):

FAA PPL, no IR.
Questionable currency (BFR etc).
Medical? Limitations (ie colour blind)?
Some sort of ‘commercial’ arrangement which may well contravene FARs and/or UK/EASA legislation.

The outcome? A pile of civil claims, driven by various insurers wanting to minimise their exposure.

I don’t think this kind of speculation is helpful and we should stop that.
Yes, there are some rumors spreading, but we have to be very careful.
Just think of the danger of rumors to the pilots widow and three kids.

Michael wrote:

I believe you are wrong: THAT is NOT a booking – just an “estimate” – absolutely nothing stated or guaranteed

Maybe it’s not the best example but it can be organized and executed on a short notice and estimated amount is pretty much in the ballpark.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

While I understand that the prominence of the passenger makes this a high profile incident, I don’t get mich of the rest.

This was a VFR flight, at night, over the sea, with cloud around. The pilot seemingly tries to avoid cloud, and after a descent, all contact is lost.

The only thing that is different from the depressingly familiar VFR into IMC scenario is that the accident happened in a very capable aircraft, and the question arises that IF the pilot was instrument rated, why the flight was not conducted under IFR, and if he was capable but not rated, why he came to grief after entering IMC, which may or may not have something to do with ice.

Biggin Hill

@Cobalt: There are a lot of questions, indeed. You state it was a VFR flight, was it and where does the information come from? Even that is speculation, or? The only thing we can say for sure is, we have an accident and quite some pieces of the puzzle which seem to not fit together, either way set.

Last Edited by at 25 Jan 08:35
Sign in to add your message