Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another Alpine crash - near LOWZ, SR22 D-EPRB

Are there any other IFR-Field in Europe, where the MA does not go over the runway?

Lots, probably. Bolzano LIPB is another

Innsbruck LOWI is another variation, where you complete the missed approach turn without going as far as the runway

If you have prepared your Tablett with the top-map (or a SV-Toy, etc.) in a way you could use it effectively in case of such an unusual situation

Yes, absolutely, You cannot go messing with any avionics at this stage of a flight.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter – Thank you for the kind welcome!

I pasted the weather webcam short after the crash time as screenshots above. Since there is no radar data below 10,000 ft in this area we can only speculate but anyone’s guess is as good as mine why he seemed to have proceeded with the approach beyond the MAPt. The weather was solid IMC. Hard evidence pending but I wonder what made him push on in such adverse conditions: “Get-there-itis”, Fuel? LOWS is minutes away with an ILS waiting for you.

LOWK, LSGS, Austria

Any news from the two daughters? Its a miricle they are alive…..

ECCZT
LEVT, Spain

We had special authorization (hence the sim training) for LOWI and much lower minima than the normal published ones. We also had specific balked landing procedures in place. All based on two localizers, mostly circling along an „8“ within the valley until high enough (9500) to fly via RTT to LOWS or EDDM. Max speed in the valley was around 155KTAS to not hit anything. Wasn’t easy in icing conditions. Flying these procedures nothing was left to coincidence. I cannot fathom why anyone would continue passed the MAP single pilot in imc with this terrain around.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

How would one set up the 085 track? Switching to OBS mode is one way, but ideally one would have a waypoint ahead which produces that track.

It would be coded in the navigator database just as in any other IAP. From the navigator’s point of view there is nothing at all unusual with this procedure.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

What level of GPS box would be required? Does it have to be a WAAS one?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

What level of GPS box would be required? Does it have to be a WAAS one?

It is just an LNAV approach, why would it need WAAS? Try loading it in your plane. It should be there.

EGTK Oxford

Malibuflyer wrote:

and the “chuteitis” common amongst Cirrus pilots

just wanted to clear the record here.

1) Those of us who undertake regular and recurrent training in Cirrus are taught that the chute should be considered as early as possible – it is a fact that after changing SOPs, the accident rate / fatal accident rate of Cirri decreased significantly due to the mantra ‘pull early, pull often’.

2) I don’t know any other Cirrus Jockeys whose thought processes are along the lines of ’it’s ok, I’ve got the chute, that is my “get out of jail free” card. Typically, if the trip is difficult, they’ll cancel rather than risk it.

I would like to believe that the pilot considered that he was current, IFR / VFR, had landed there previously and had alternate plans, that he didn’t think ‘Ah well, if it goes tits up, I’ve always got the chute….’ Looking at the plate, I can imagine a simple ‘gotcha’ on the AP was the cause of sending him to the scene of the accident.

RIP and hopefully a speedy recovery for his children.

EDL*, Germany

Unfortunately the 12 year old daughter who initially survived the crash has no passed away as well.

The 9 year old child who escaped with light injuries is now the sole survivor.

https://kurier.at/chronik/oesterreich/flugzeugabsturz-im-pinzgau-tochter-nach-fuenf-tagen-im-spital-gestorben/400712982

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Sadly one of the daughters died today :(
Edit/sametime as mooney. Disregard.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 27 Dec 13:07
always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message