Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Emeraude G-CKCF in the trees - Rochester EGTO

Interesting that the pilot, having landed ‘long’ at St Mary’s, destoying his aircraft (https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/178854) now prefers to land ‘short’. Search for: ‘Timothy Saanen Landing’. This is, of course, illegal…

I don’t think anyone here should reply to online trolls or fake accounts

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

There seems to be an element here of people taking joy in another pilot’s misfortune.
We should be better than that irrespective of whether or not you like the pilot.

An engine failure (assuming that is what this is) could happen to any of us.

Let’s have a bit of dignity and show a quantum of sympathy to the pilot following an accident.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

JohnR wrote:

What exactly is wrong with that approach and landing at Saanen?

Umm, touchdown short of the line? Though obviously from the rubber marks on the tarmac it looks like the norm, and in fact that touchdown was somewhat further down than most!

It looked to me like he had a fair bit of runway remainin – so a touchdown after the line would have been ok – although he did appear to brake pretty hard. But there is either enough landing distance for that particular model of aircraft (after the line) or there is not. If there isn’t, then don’t fly there. Some things in aviation are fairly black and white.

I’m not saying I’d never utilise the undershoot, if I felt I could do so safely, to give myself extra margin at a runway that was tight whilst being within limits. But I wouldn’t post it on YouTube.

Unless of course, there’s some local rule that says short of the line = fine.

Last Edited by Graham at 01 Nov 20:54
EGLM & EGTN

dublinpilot wrote:

There seems to be an element here of people taking joy in another pilot’s misfortune.

I don’t see any of that. Who exactly, and in saying what?

EGLM & EGTN

I see this as an example of staying in control and impacting with minimum forward and downward speed. So many have crashed trying to get to an open space which cannot be reached, or had too much forward speed. I agree a well-done job.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

an example of staying in control and impacting with minimum forward and downward speed

Well, I don’t know about you, but I was not there, so I don’t know why nor how it happened, nor what the place looks like. I’ll reserve an eventual judgement for when facts are known.

@Graham +1

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

dublinpilot wrote:

We should be better than that irrespective of whether or not you like the pilot.

An engine failure (assuming that is what this is) could happen to any of us.

True. I think some of those who like to give their “know better advice” for the lack of a better expression after each and every accident should well reflect on how they would like it, being “judged” by an army of pseudo AAIB wannabes if they get it wrong.

It quite often irritates me to no ends if it is in aviation fora where fellow pilots are most harshly judged without most relevant facts known. Often extends in to wannabe rule-makers who then bring up stuff even the most restrictive CAA/EASA/FAA cya artists would find over the top…

While in this thread I don’t find it excessive apart from the inevitable listing of former mishaps the same guy had (and owed up to publicly), I’ve recently had some very negative experiences concerning this very unfortunate trend in pilots fora. Kind of makes me think sometimes what would happen if, heaven forbid, something happened to me one day. I certainly would not like to get my family exposed to half arsed monday morning quarterbacking by half the scene following something like this.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@dublinpilot – there are times I really wish we had a like button here

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I trained for my license in Switzerland, at a little grass strip just over the hill from Saanen. I have flown into Saanen dozens of times. The approach is interesting, and the final segment even more so. It requires one to skim over a little railway station on the hill as you turn onto final, and even then the glide slope is way higher than normal. I can recall on a couple of occasions landing there in little club aircraft in the winter, when there were patches of icy snow on the runway, literally sliding most of the way down the runway, gingerly touching the brakes when hitting the non iced bits of tarmac. It was lots of fun and par for the course for Swiss mountain flying.

But its also a long way of saying that the locals probably all have the habit of using the undershoot for an early touchdown there if possible.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

But its also a long way of saying that the locals probably all have the habit of using the undershoot for an early touchdown there if possible.

One would be way too dumb not to do it and go overshoot on the other side

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Nov 17:12
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message