Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper Archer I-PIDR "lands" on a mountain slope in Italy

By the way some of you look at that young pilot, she might have been better off if she had gotten her self killed?

Heaven knows we all make mistakes, I sure as hell do. But most of those who make such fatal mistakes in the Alps aren’t alive to tell the tale. This one managed to get all her passengers and herself out of this mess in a much better shape than most others. If that breaks her career as a possible airline pilot, then there might be something wrong in the industry.

We can speculate and go back and forth, until we know what happened, how high she was when the engine did not put out power and what the actual trajectory was, all that matters is that for once we are not mourning the loss of a fellow aviatress and her passengers.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

+1 for @Mooney_Driver. The pilot did an excellent job of a forced landing in very difficult circumstances and with little time to figure it out.

Flying over mountains at non-oxygen altitude, even in perfect day VFR conditions, is always risky. You have to decide what risks you want to take. Or just stay home and watch flying videos on Youtube.

One thing I have learned recently – and wish I hadn’t. Having an accident, especially when you know it was all your fault, is a VERY humbling experience. Suddenly you’re a great deal less less inclined to say or think “I would never let that happen to me! I’m MUCH too good a pilot to make a silly mistake or error of judgement like that”.

LFMD, France

I agree with @Mooney_Driver. The amount of judgement and speculation does not become this forum. We’re usually better than this.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

By the way some of you look at that young pilot, she might have been better off if she had gotten her self killed?

Really? I must have missed some posts. Where are those posts? Less than great decisions further back, probably. But better dead???

A bit less negative stuff would be good for all. Discussing accidents is good; most of us learn from them.

Happy New Year!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Some coverage from the recovery.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Some coverage from the recovery.

Impressive work! Having been involved in a getting a gear up landing aircraft back on its wheels at an airport, I am really impressed at the work these guys did getting this aircraft moved off the side of a mountain at 9000ft, with minimal additional damage.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

The damage doesn’t look that bad for such a landing, well done. Yes, it may be dead-by-insurance-means but would not surprise me if somebody repairs it.

Germany

I see huge benefit in discussing accidents such that even if the opinion is wrong, there may be something in there which just gives a fellow pilot a moment to pause and consider, which in turn may well save lives in the future.

Life can be tough and I personally don’t enjoy giving credit where I feel the absolute opposite is appropriate.

I may well be wrong in my analysis, but since I’m freely giving an opinion I have a basis for making the effort to present it.

In the words of Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park, ‘I hate being right all the time’

Happy new year all

J

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

Well what happened, happened. Three people lived to tell a great story. Aircraft recovered very professionally by the look of it, and it may well fly again.

I think she was very fortunate to have the scenario that they had. High AOA, stalled into a deep snow bank, a hut for shelter, it all worked. Well done to her.

No front shoulder harness by the looks of it.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Mooney_Driver wrote:

she might have been better off if she had gotten her self killed

You are missing the point. I don’t think anyone will see her killed, except perhaps a very angry X or something? The point, which several are making, is this accident has no clear signs of an emergency landing, not from the info we have. From what I have read of similar accidents (being outclimbed by the terrain), there is perhaps around 50/50 chance of surviving. Survivability has little to do with skills, it has a lot to do with the terrain at the precise touch down point, which essentially is all about luck/no luck.

The details of what exactly lead up to the situation is much more blurry however, but the general rule is crystal clear. You plan and fly so you never end up in such a situation, not with passengers on board. It’s all about risk. Flying alone, or with another pilot friend, is different than flying with passengers. Ending up in such a situation in the first place is therefore one of:

• Ending up on the “wrong” side of the calculated risk
  • Poor planning, poor airmanship, insufficient competence, not handling the situation fast enough, handling it wrong etc
  • Something very much unusual and unforeseen.

The first one is something that happens from time to time. All kinds of airsports is typically in this category, and lots of other flying also. The second one is business as usual in GA, while the third one is something we just have to accept because there is nothing we can do about it, but it is extremely rare.

If it was the first one, then the obvious question is why put your passengers at a higher risk then they reasonably can expect? If it was the last one, then what exactly was it that isn’t normal at high alt in the mountains in the winter? The second one could be detailed into all kinds of things, and I’m sure the investigators will do exactly that.

I am open to all kinds of explanations. But one thing I am very sure of. The only thing that made this a lucky outcome after all, is luck. It’s a 50/50 chance, and the coin landed with the right side up.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message