Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TBM900 M-VNTR crash Fairoaks, no fatalities

In some ways it is very reassuring to hear it was a PT6 failure.

I reckon you forgot a “not”?

In some ways it is very reassuring to hear it was a PT6 failure.

4,500 metres and a low level circuit to remain visual is in the realm of the pilot working hard into an airport with only visual approaches and the class D all around. I use to fly into Fairoaks quite often in any weather I felt I could and always found for some reason it sits a little unusually in its terrain making it possible to slightly disorientate – not quite sure why though.

Looking at the POH, the ailerons are quite small and are mechanically interconnected with spoilers. Anyway spoilers destroy lift on the wing, that is their function.

EBKT

No, I meant the guy referred to, with the clock

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Just reading back up this thread… post #5, that is the same guy who I was told bought the Socata parts stock of the bankrupt Air Touring

Sorry Peter, not me I am afraid, the only time that I set foot in the place at Biggin was the first ever (more or less) get together of the PPL/IR network.

The TBM850 I flew also had normal ailerons. An excellent aircraft.

Just reading back up this thread… post #5, that is the same guy who I was told bought the Socata parts stock of the bankrupt Air Touring. I doubt he is still sitting on it as I have been offered that stock from numerous other places. Last I heard, a company which became a Socata dealer was trying to sell it! GA is a small world.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The TBM900 that lives in our hangar definitely has ailerons AND spoilers….

There were a couple of accidents with TBMs. They have spoilers, not ailerons. You cannot pick up a dropped wing with spoilers, only drop the other one more. Spoilers are good for high-speed roll control, not for low-speed. I don’t pretend to know anything about this accident. At least two TBMs with Belgian owners came to grief, one in Oxford during landing approach, another local one near Paris from high altitude during stormy weather. A bit like the MU2, good aircraft but can bite if not on top of the game.

EBKT

It also goes to show that an accelerated stall in a coordinated condition is an awful lot survivable than trying to skid the plane around and limit the bank angle (which would have gone very badly I suspect).

Andreas IOM

Apparently, a tight base to final turn gone wrong (AAIB report). That being said, the outcome was surprisingly good, i.e. almost a recovery. Glad that no one was seriously injured.

Last Edited by Canuck at 11 Jul 13:09
Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message