Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR22 crash in Gloucestershire N936CT

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Watch-This-Spin-Results-In-Chute-Pull222558-1.html

Here’s another one….

I thought they were certified for spinning? Is the article accurate?

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

There was a thread on it here

I nearly bought an SR20 in 2002 but the arrogant salesman tried really hard to make me walk away. I wonder if it was the same guy?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I was looking to possibly upgrade to something like an A36 Bonanza, or a Baron, whilst still keeping my beloved V Tail.

A couple of guys have approached me to assist in setting up an equity group around an SR22. They want me to take a share. Now, under normal circumstances that may have worked quite well for me, but, the more I here and see of Cirrus ops, the more I think I may steer clear. General comment I know, because I have not flown one, but all the issues surrounding engine failures, spin recovery, BRS, and full glass tech, well, not for me……

Think I will try and shift them to……

EGPF Glasgow

I thought they were certified for spinning? Is the article accurate?

They aren’t. Neither is the PA32, I don’t know about the Bonanzas. The criteria to pass spin certification are a bit stricter than the spin testing criteria for other aircraft.

A Normal category certified aircraft must recover from a one-turn spin within another turn without exceeding limits. That is all.

A Utility category aircraft CAN be certified for spinning and then recover from a six-turn spin within another 1.5 turns without exceeding limits.

An Aerobatic category aircraft MUST be certified for spinning and then recover from a six-turn spin within another 1.5 turns without exceeding limits.

The SR22 is quite benign in its stall characteristics – a bit like the PA28, or even more so, basically gently mushing down with a bit of aileron effectiveness remaining unless you really go for an accelerated stall – the inboard section of the wing stalls significantly earlier than the outboard section. To get a vicious stall or a wing drop one really needs to abuse it (I never tried to take it that far).

The parachute was accepted as an alternative means of complying with the spin certification, so Cirrus did not complete the test, although I see no reason why it shouldn’t pass. Having been put into an inadvertent spin by a student once and the required recovery action being a bit more extreme than I expected, I would not jump to the conclusion that the spin was unrecoverable – in fact, the FAA abandoned mandatory spin training after statistics did show quite a few accidents where pilots did not recover from spins in spin-certified aircraft.

Biggin Hill

Also I notice in the Australian case, the pilot applied pro-spin rudder during his attempted recovery…..duh!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

The parachute was accepted as an alternative means of complying with the spin certification, so Cirrus did not complete the test, although I see no reason why it shouldn’t pass.

It did pass when It received it’s EASA certification.

EGSC

Beechbaby

Before making a decision, you might find it useful to take a look at the COPA site and ask some of these questions in the free Guest forum:

https://www.cirruspilots.org/copa/non_member/guest_discussion/thread-list.aspx

Whatever you end up doing: I hope it works out well!

EGSC

I don’t think there is anything wrong with an SR22 and the way it flies. If you want a modern IFR SEP that can be bought brand new, or even nearly new, there isn’t much choice.

To state the blindingly obvious: most of the chute pulls we read about took place in circumstances which make the pilot’s training, currency or decisionmaking very questionable… But that would not stop me from buying one.

There is perhaps an second order factor which is susceptibility to a more rapid than usual performance loss in icing conditions, which would more strongly dictate the TKS option. But the SR22 would be far from the only type to have that issue; all the fast modern “plastic planes” have it even if most of them are uncertified.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Jonzarno I will.

Obviously it is a decent piece of kit, and many are flying, without the issues that have been mentioned. I agree with Peter, that a lot of the incidents do appear pilot induced, which may be giving the type an unfair rep, bit like the initial V tail Bonanzas.

Will,investigate a bit further on the type..

EGPF Glasgow

No twin is certified for spinning, and people aren’t scared of flying them. A twin in a spin will very likely kill everyone. A Cirrus in a spin might well recover and if the chute is used correctly almost certainly will. People seem to forget that when talking about the SR22 and spinning, which I find odd. The typical SR22 pilot is probably someone who could afford a twin if they wanted but are sticking to a SEP.

Touch wood but in 14 years of flying, I have yet to encounter an unintentional spin. Even when I stalled at the top of a loop upside down, I didn’t end up in a spin…….

EGHS
Sign in to add your message