Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Croatia - June 2017

We are planning another two trip for the last two weeks of June. Places on the hit list that we haven’t yest visited are Mali Losinj and Brac. Those that have been before, can you recommend which towns to stay in on these two islands?

Other destinations not yet visited will be Split and Sardinia (possibly Olbia), together with previous favourites of Piran and Calvi.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

While Brac is a great airport, and nearby Bol a nice small town – I would always prefer to fly to Split and then take the ferry to the islands, Hvar beeing the most beautiful one, IMHO. With Hvar (town) and Korcula town (on the island of Korcula) beeing the nicest towns. The Split airport is uncomplicated.

If that is too complicated, then fly to Brac and take a taxi to Bol. There are some nice hotels and a couple of good restaurants, but nothing like the ones you will find in Hvar (town) or Split.

@Alexis For Brac would you recommend Bol or Supetar?

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Supetar definitely. Much more to do. Bol is very little but is scenic in its own way and well worth a visit. Hvar is also worth a day trip.

I have various writeups covering Brac of which the last one is from the EuroGA Sep 2016 meet-up.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Alexis wrote:

The Split airport is uncomplicated.

Maybe but only outside of the high season. Once you pass May 15 it starts to be complicated and expensive. You need to make PPR a week or so earlier to ensure parking place and daily parking goes to 24€ (three times than normal). You can check details in AIP and on airport’s web site.

Rob2701 wrote:

Places on the hit list that we haven’t yest visited are Mali Losinj and Brac.

If you want to visit Brac then land to Brac, extremely friendly airport, customs&immigration, 100LL and Jet-A1, nice place overall, a lot of small towns/villages on the island where you can book accomodation. If you want to visit Split from there then book accomodation in Supetar and take ferry to Split. IMHO Split is not exactly town you want to spend more than one day, it’s big (for Croatian measures) and busy, airport is quite far from city (taxi ride can go up to 50€, while bus is 5€ but it’s not so frequent and it takes 1 hour).

If you go to Losinj then town Mali Losinj is the best option for accomodation and the most scenic place.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yes, you have to eMail LDSP for parking in the summer, that’s correct. Maybe I didn’t realize that might be a problem becasue I always got it.
To me Split is a must. The old town with the 1800 yo Roman Palace is so fantastic, i go there all my life and can’t get enough of it. But maybe that’s just me!

Alexis wrote:

Yes, you have to eMail LDSP for parking in the summer, that’s correct. Maybe I didn’t realize that might be a problem becasue I always got it

I used to get it always except once when I needed it the most. So I landed to Zadar LDZD and went to Split by car. On my way back I briefly visited Split airport just to see at least 3 free parking spots at GA apron and I’m probably the most frequent GA visitor at LDSP. That left a bitter taste in my mouth …

Alexis wrote:

To me Split is a must. The old town with the 1800 yo Roman Palace is so fantastic, i go there all my life and can’t get enough of it. But maybe that’s just me!

Maybe I don’t appreciate it enough because I’m too often there

Last Edited by Emir at 18 May 15:50
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Split is a fantastic city; I thoroughly recommend it.
The bus journey from the airport to the city takes 45 mins and is 30kn.
If you have a boat licence, by far the best way to see the area is by boat but getting a berth in high season is often difficult.
There is a small marina a 10 minute walk from LDSP and you can arrange to have a boat delivered there or most hire companies will pick you up and take you the 15 minute drive to the Unesco town of Trogir where the marina is huge.

Forever learning
EGTB

Ivo’s last night in Piran. Flew from Carcassonne to Portoroz yesterday, the second leg of our Croatia trip. CAVOK But flew the VOR 15 approach with circle to land R33. It’s a steep approach to get over that hill. Flying to Brac tomorrow and staying in Supetar. Planning to get the ferry to Split and stay there for a couple of nights.

Last Edited by Rob2701 at 20 Jun 09:19
EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Hi Rob,
if you need any information or tip about Split, let me know (my second hometown :-).
My favourite restaurant: SPERUN, (in a small street at the western side of the main harbour)
Many other great restarurants and bars in the narrow steets around the Palace.

29 Posts
Sign in to add your message