Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Currency requirements - EASA IR ?

Could someone, please, advise me of
the currency requirements for a holder of an EASA IR
(i.e. what type of “IFR flying” one has to perform regularly in any given “time window”
to retain “instrument privileges” between annual revalidation flight tests)?

YSCB

None.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thank you, boscomantico, for your quick response.
I did search EASA regs related to FCLicensing before posting my question.
I am surprised that after 11 months without any “instrument” practice one would still be allowed to venture directly into clouds on the crowded European skies !

Last Edited by ANTEK at 26 Nov 19:22
YSCB

The only requirement for the JAA/EASA IR is the annual revalidation flight, which needs to be done within the 90 days before the anniversary of the original IR test.

So if your original IRT was say 31 Dec then you need to get you revalidation flight done between 1st October and 31 Dec, every year thereafter (I might be a day or two out due to the 30/31 business but you get my drift).

This flight can be done with a freelance IR examiner. It is one of the very few things which can be done freelance, and long may it last.

If you go past 31 Dec by even 1 day, it is no longer a “revalidation” but becomes a “renewal” and then you are thrown back into the FTO system, and an FTO needs to do training as required, which could be anything from nil, to whatever they feel like making you do.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you, Peter.
Here is what I, as a holder of the unrestricted (= “command”) IR in Australia, have to adhere to to remain CURRENT:

11 Recent experience requirements
11.1 The holder of a command instrument rating shall not act as pilot in command of an aircraft on an I.F.R. flight unless the recent experience requirements of this subsection are satisfied. Recent experience requirements for flights using Night V.F.R. procedures are detailed in subsection 14.
11.2 The holder of a command instrument rating shall not act as pilot in command of an aircraft on I.F.R. flights unless within the preceding 90 days, that person has:
(a) completed 3 hours instrument time with a minimum of either 1 hour instrument flight time on that category of aircraft or 1 hour instrument time on an approved flight simulator; or
(b) completed either 1 hour of dual instrument flight instruction time on that category of aircraft or 1 hour instrument instruction time on an approved flight simulator; or
(c) completed 1 hour instrument flight time whilst acting in command under supervision or 1 hour instrument time acting in command under supervision on an approved flight simulator; or
(d) passed the instrument rating test on either that category of aircraft or an approved flight simulator.
11.3 Subject to paragraph 11.8, the holder of a command instrument rating must not, as pilot in command of an aircraft, carry out a RNAV/(GNSS) approach or an instrument approach using DME or GPS arrival procedures, NDB or VOR in I.M.C. unless, in the immediately preceding 90 days, the holder has performed an approach using the same type of navigation aid or procedure in flight or in an approved synthetic flight trainer.
11.3A Despite paragraph 11.3:
(a) if a holder of a command instrument rating has, in the immediately preceding 90 days, flown DME arrival procedures, paragraph 11.3 does not apply to the holder in relation to GPS arrival procedures; and
(b) if a holder of a command instrument rating has, in the immediately preceding 90 days, flown GPS arrival procedures, paragraph 11.3 does not apply to the holder in relation to DME arrival procedures; and
(c) if a holder of a command instrument rating has, in the immediately preceding 90 days, flown an ILS approach or a LLZ approach, paragraph 11.3 does not apply to the holder in relation to a VOR approach.
11.3B Despite paragraph 11.3, the holder of a command instrument rating must not carry out a RNAV/(GNSS) approach as pilot in command of an aircraft unless, in the immediately preceding 6 months, the holder has carried out a RNAV/(GNSS) approach:
(a) in flight or in an approved synthetic flight trainer; and
(b) using a GNSS receiver:
(i) whichisthesameasthatfittedintheaircraft;or
(ii) whichCASAhasdeterminedinwritingistobetakenasbeingthe same as that fitted in the aircraft.
11.4 The holder of a command instrument rating shall not carry out an ILS or LLZ approach in IMC as pilot in command of an aircraft unless, within the preceding 35 days, that person has performed in flight, or in a synthetic flight trainer approved for the purpose, either one of those approaches.
11.5 The holder of a command instrument rating shall not act as pilot in command on single pilot I.F.R. flights unless within the preceding 90 days:
(a) that person has completed as a single pilot operation either in an aircraft certificated for single pilot operations or an approved synthetic trainer, 1 hour instrument time including 1 instrument approach, as pilot in command or acting in command under supervision; or
(b) that person has passed the instrument rating test conducted as a single pilot operation.
11.6 Subject to paragraph 11.8, the holder of a command instrument rating shall not carry out an instrument approach in I.M.C. as pilot in command of an aircraft unless, during the preceding 15 months, proficiency on the navigation aid being used has been demonstrated to CASA, an approved testing officer or approved person during an instrument rating test or a flight proficiency test conducted in accordance with an approved training and checking programme. This requirement may be satisfied in accordance with the provisions of Appendix I, subparagraph 4.1 (b).
11.7 Credits for recent experience which can be achieved in approved synthetic flight trainers are specified in Appendix II.
11.8 Paragraphs 11.3 and 11.6 do not apply to the holder of a command instrument rating if he or she:
(a)
is employed by, or working under an arrangement with, an operator who has a cyclic training and proficiency program that:
(i) meetstherequirementsofAppendixV;and (ii) isapprovedunderregulation217;and
(b) is a participant in the program; and
(c) met the standards required by the program in the last session of the program that he or she attended.
12 Renewal
12.1 A grade of instrument rating must be renewed for a period of 12 months from the date of its expiry if:
(a) its holder passes the instrument rating test applicable to the renewal of the grade of rating within the last 90 days before the grade of rating is due to expire; or
(b) its holder:
(i) isemployedby,orworkingunderanarrangementwith,anoperator who has a cyclic training and proficiency program that:
(A) meets the requirements of Appendix V; and
(B) is approved under regulation 217; and (ii) isaparticipantintheprogram;and
(iii) metthestandardsrequiredbytheprograminthelastsessionofthe program that he or she attended.
12.2 Where an instrument rating has expired for a period of less than 12 months, an applicant may qualify for issue of a rating by passing the instrument rating test applicable to the renewal of a rating.
12.3 Where an instrument rating has expired for a period in excess of 12 months, an applicant may qualify for issue of a rating by passing the instrument rating test applicable to the initial issue of an instrument rating.
12.4 The holder is taken to meet the requirements of subparagraph 12.1 (a) if he or she complies with subsection 12A within the 90 days before the grade of rating is due to expire.
12.5 For paragraph 12.2, the applicant is taken to meet the requirements of subparagraph 12.1 (a) if he or she complies with subsection 12A within the period mentioned in paragraph 12.2.
12.6 For paragraph 12.3, subsection 12A does not apply.
12.7 To avoid doubt, for a person who is subject to competency checks by a training and checking organisation under subregulation 217 (2) of the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 (CAR 1988), renewal of a grade of instrument rating using an instrument proficiency check on a flight simulator under subsection 12A may be conducted as part of the flight crew competency checking mentioned in subclause 3.4A of Appendix 2 of Civil Aviation Order 82.1.
Note For subsection 12.7 to apply, the respective requirements of subsection 12A and of subclause 3.4A of Appendix 2 of Civil Aviation Order 82.1 must all be met.
__ __

Last Edited by ANTEK at 27 Nov 04:06
YSCB

Yes the relative lack of draconian regulation on other planets often surprises Australians….the most over regulated (and policed) state in the Western world…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

(Australia)…..the most over regulated (and policed) state in the Western world…

Well….well…well…
It is not as bad as you appear to think!

Last Edited by ANTEK at 27 Nov 07:56
YSCB

However, unless I misread something, the Australian requirements are easily met by any private pilot who actually flies IFR.

Same as the FAA 6/6 rolling currency (I meet that about 5x over, most of the year, just by choosing to fly an approach when one is available).

However these will be hard to meet by a non aircraft owner, especially one who rarely flies.

The JAA (EASA) IR is however much easier to keep by a low currency pilot, who does just the one test a year, and he can keep good enough on FSX at home in between. It’s one of the European paradoxes and no doubt explains why the FAA system is no less safe than the JAA one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

….the Australian requirements are easily met by any private pilot who actually flies IFR (says Peter)

and I agree fully.

Flying “on instruments” is a simple skill which, in my opinion, deteriorates very rapidly if not practiced regularly.
The set of our “automatic” responses deteriorates first. We still know what should be done but we take longerrrrrr
to do it,
and in that “hesitancy in responding when out-of-practice” that the danger lies.

Last Edited by ANTEK at 27 Nov 09:16
YSCB

I still think the Australian regs are far too proscriptive – the FARs are better written in that they really ensure a pilot is current without the approach type by approach type discussion.

I do think it is ironic that EASA regs encourage less currency than the FARs. As a non-EASA licence holder I had not realised how currency ‘worked’ under EASA.

EGTK Oxford
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message