Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Customs and Immigration in Europe (and C+I where it is not published - how?)

That’s news. I pay 1/2 landing charge at EGPE Inverness as a hangar resident, and no parking. I haven’t flown since 2/12/2023 due to 2 cateract operations and the aircraft annual. My last landing was £11.##.
I hope to be flying soon. I fly to look at the landscape, and only land for fuel. But in Scotland, only Oban and Perth and maybe Tingwall, have avgas outside of the HIAL airports. (Apart from the big expensive ones, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Prestwick.)
HIAL is a Quasi Autonomous Non-Government Agency and most of the airports, and their flights, are supported financially by the UK and/or Scottish Government for access reasons. I’m dubious of the autonomy of QUANGOS.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Le Sving wrote:
“Having said that, similar things like what has happened in Scotland is a killer indeed. It kills everything, certified, UL and experimental alike.”

What has happened in Scotland to affect GA? Aviation is a UK Gov area, not devolved to the Scottish Government.
Military Restricted Airspace has reduced greatly from what it was in 1990.
(The present Scottish Government, which I voted for, is crazy, but not affecting flying.)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

As I said earlier, going to Sweden from a non EU country (Norway) is super easy. I don’t know if Sweden actually has implemented that EU reg, or if this is a pure Swedish regulation from way back, perhaps special to Norway/Sweden/Scandinavia? It doesn’t matter, because Sweden obviously in practice has implemented it: AIP GEN 1.2.4.4.3
Sweden already implemented their rule before EU regulation 2020/877 was written or released, but they didn’t seem to update their customs laws according to the EU version yet. But in practice, you’re absolutely right. Sweden is alongside Germany the only country that defacto complies with the EU regulation. Germany does however also dejure. Thanks for signing btw.!

gallois wrote:
But does the departure point have to be an International airport or can it be any airfield?
Departure and arrival can be any airfield, as long as you don’t have any goods on board that are relevant to a customs clearance. In other words: You can depart or arrive at any airfield according to the EU 2020/877 regulation, as if you would cross the green channel at an international airport.
Last Edited by Frans at 04 Apr 10:03
Switzerland

gallois wrote:

But does the departure point have to be an International airport or can it be any airfield?

That’s not a Swedish concern is it? or perhaps it is, don’t know. In Norway it doesn’t matter where you go from within Norway. What you must (or should) have in your flight plan is EET/XY where X is the point of crossing and Y is the time. Then you should report to ATC when leaving that point, then contact the other country’s ATC to report you have entered (if possible, which is not always due to lack of radio coverage).

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

That sounds like a good rule. But does the departure point have to be an International airport or can it be any airfield?

Last Edited by gallois at 04 Apr 09:36
France

Frans wrote:

There are indeed a lot of reasons for European GA to decrease, but certainly not so much because of mandatory flight plans on international flights, which was more or less my main message in the replies.

This is 100% true and 100% obvious when looking back a few years. Flight plans when crossing the borders have always been the case everywhere. The only thing that has changed in the last few years is this can be done electronically. It literally takes a few seconds with Skydemon or similar. In the event that GA is in fact decreasing, which it isn’t IMO, it’s certainly not because of the lack of removal of the requirement for flight plans for crossing borders. GA has changed. Today the largest lump is in the non certified category, ULs mainly and experimental. This is cost and bureaucracy driven from the start, but it’s also community and industry driven to a large extent.

Having said that, similar things like what has happened in Scotland is a killer indeed. It kills everything, certified, UL and experimental alike. To use a fishing analogy, it’s like using a bottom trawl leaving the sea floor as a desert where nothing lives. The habitat is destroyed, and unless GA can find alternatives, GA will also be gone. GA usually finds alternatives, but only exceptionally will it be a 2 km hard runway. More often than not it’s some stretch of grass, usually several spread out.

Signed that petition by the way. But it says only Germany has implemented it. As I said earlier, going to Sweden from a non EU country (Norway) is super easy. I don’t know if Sweden actually has implemented that EU reg, or if this is a pure Swedish regulation from way back, perhaps special to Norway/Sweden/Scandinavia? It doesn’t matter, because Sweden obviously in practice has implemented it: AIP GEN 1.2.4.4.3:

4.4.3 An aircraft arriving from a Third country or another EU
country does not have to submit a notification in advance if
the aircraft arrives at an international union airport. An aircraft
arriving at another airport than an international union airport
without carrying goods under customs surveillance does not
have to submit a notification in advance if a flight plan is
submitted to an air traffic control centre no later than one hour
before the aircraft is due to depart from the last airport abroad.
Should the scheduled time of arrival have been changed by
more than one hour, the new estimated time of arrival must be
given no later than one hour prior to the estimated starting
time from the last airport abroad.
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Silvaire wrote:

If it truly is a ‘nut that can never be cracked’ I think international GA in Europe will continue to pass away in concert with private transport options on the ground becoming less regimented – which has been a necessity to maintain European competitiveness and relevance.
I honestly respect your view, but speaking a final word for most European pilots here, I think you way overrate this being a ‘real’ issue out of personal disagreement. There are indeed a lot of reasons for European GA to decrease, but certainly not so much because of mandatory flight plans on international flights, which was more or less my main message in the replies.

For example: Many EU countries have not yet implemented EU regulation 2020/877, which should remove the obligation to fly via a customs airport from and to non-EU countries like Norway and Switzerland. This is still a real true pain in the middle of mainland Europe. You might support us by signing the EU petition, which everybody worldwide is allowed to sign.
Last Edited by Frans at 04 Apr 07:19
Switzerland

The comments on YouTube are much the same as reading this thread.

The C150 is fun to see, based on the paint and panel I believe its a 1966 model. I soloed one just like that well over 40 years ago, riding to the airport on a motorcycle learner’s permit, available from age 15-1/2. I wasn’t licensed to drive a car and had to be home before dark The C150 was my dad’s plane then but flies with a small club in Florida now. Its last flight on FlightAware was on March 29th, five days ago. Its been in regular use for 58 years, and I don’t think its ever been babied.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 Apr 00:02

Speaking of the devil

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
440 Posts
Sign in to add your message