Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Day trip to Bembridge EGHJ to visit the dinosaur museum

At the weekend we went to Bembridge, to visit Dinosaur Isle on Sandown seafront. šŸ¦• šŸ¦– ā€œDine-saw ā€“ GRRR!ā€ [for the uninitiated, a Peppa Pig reference]

We had planned to go a couple of times before, but didnā€™t make it: once we missed the bus so took the next one to Bembridge village instead; the other we delayed until Sunday due to weather, when the museum is closed.

Very short outbound flight to Bembridge, but the first half was busy as I had difficulty getting a transit from Southampton. The first call resulted in ā€˜remain outside controlled airspaceā€™, followed 5 minutes later by ā€˜call me back 5nm from my boundaryā€™, then ā€˜expect routing to the east of my zoneā€™, followed finally by ā€˜cleared to transit not above 3,500 feetā€™. Funny how after flying over a decade in the UK it still blindsides you. Track miles increased by 46% compared to straight-line distance; I wonder what the environmental impact of the CAAā€™s bust-them-all policy has in terms of CO2 emissions.

Gosport and the island behind

Bembridge harbour

Base joins usually work best approaching Bembridge from the north, but there were two other aircraft in roughly the same place as me so I did a modified circuit for spacing.

A nice Gipsy Moth

There was a marked bank of cloud along the ridge, completely obscuring the Yarborough monument

We paid for the landing, and went to wait for the bus at the airfield gate. Iā€™d timed it quite well, and only had a 10 minute wait. Itā€™s the hourly Southern Vectis number 8 bus, or less frequent open-top tourist buses also. You can use their website or app to track your bus to check for delays and make sure you get the right stop. Itā€™s a double-decker, so we always go upstairs and the kids absolutely love it. Itā€™s only about a 7 minute ride, but along narrow lanes and you get good views of the surrounding countryside.

The route.

The view from the top. The little old lady in the seat in front had a pot plant with her šŸŖ“

Our bus

Lunchtime

The lifted moist air is obvious on the clifftop here too

Why fly to Bembridge to visit Sandown, when it has its own airfield? Iā€™ve only flown into Sandown once, and found the surface very rough even in a tailwheel Piper. Also, with both ends on the bus route, Bembridge is actually more convenient.

We got off one stop past the museum to have an early lunch. The food wasnā€™t amazing, but it was convenient, cheap, and quick.
The museum itself was good, but small. Admission is Ā£8 for adults and Ā£5 for children, or Ā£20 for a family. We were there an hour and quarter in total, having looked at everything, including the gift shop. To be honest, the zoo next door is better for a day out, but it was still good, especially for my son who is a big dinosaur afficionado. It was pretty dark inside, and the phone photos didnā€™t come out very well.

Pterodactyl-inspired building

Ichthyosaur

A digital microscope with the display on the screen on the right. There are buttons to zoom and focus, and a selection of things to look at. The children spent ages on this.

Ammonites

Interactive paleontology

In incredibly detailed reconstruction

Window into the fossil room. They have over 40,000!

The main room

T-rex?

Excavated and removed whole still in the rock, and displayed vertically. These were big beasts.

An animatronic model, with buttons to move the eyes, tail, jaws, claws, arms etc. The other side has skin, so you can watch it move in the mirror. My son would have spent all day here.

We didnā€™t go into the centre of Sandown. We went once during Covid, and found it quite run down looking. On that visit one of the shops called us over from the opposite pavement to give us all free ice creams, as they wouldnā€™t sell before the expiry date. Iā€™ve been meaning to go back and spend some money there, but canā€™t remember where it was now.

Giant trampolines

Dinosaur minigolf

Electric go-karting

The beach was much busier in the afternoon and nearer the pier

We were planning to do the dinosaur-themed mini-golf, but the kids werenā€™t interested. We went to the play park instead, then the beach. This was unplanned, and required some creativity to get enough dry clothes to cover two children for the return journey.

Take-off. Shame about the glare in this photo.

Portsmouth

Overhead Southampton

Almost home

For the return flight, Southampton granted a direct transit immediately, restoring my faith in ATC. We all went home tired but happy: another good day out.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Thanks for the report, especially the tip for the bus line.

LFOU, France

Thank you! Looks amazing.

One to consider brining my daughter to in the future

EIWT Weston, Ireland

That looks a super high value trip.

The IOW needs a car, a bus or an e-bike (unless you are fit) to get around And taxis are extremely expensive.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

United Kingdom

A poor attempt to clean it up a bit.

United Kingdom

While you are at it, please straighten out the horizon, too .

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thank you GA_Pete and Bosco

Now we know what happened to Nikolai Yezhov

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Obviously difficult with kids in tow but I actually really like the walk from Bembridge to Sandown and to have lunch in that Driftwood cafe.

Forever learning
EGTB

Nice report Capitaine, thanks!

As for me, no need to visit any museum, Iā€™m surrounded by them dinosaurs. Alive.

PS
According to wifey and other people, I belong to that same speciesā€¦

Last Edited by Dan at 02 Jul 22:05
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message