The 5 Up’s

Power UP
Nose UP
Flaps UP
Gear UP
Speak UP

can be abbreviated to 4 Up’s if aircraft not retractable

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

Well really the nose should come up first…..

EGTK Oxford

I think a go around is quite a delicate affair for such an abbreviated “check list”, e. g.:

- pulling up before adding power is asking for a stall. Depending on ac type, this should be done simoultaneously. If correctly trimmed, adding power alone should already make the nose rise.
- don’t retract flaps fully, but only to take off setting
- don’t retract gear before positive ROC

As always, the POH has the last word …

Last Edited by blueline at 06 Apr 06:03
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

I would have thought that getting some speed up would be the first thing, on a go-around.

Of course it depends on the go-around and how slow you are going.

Also right (or left) rudder, to keep the ball in the middle.

Last Edited by Peter at 06 Apr 06:35
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I was taught:

Cram (apply full power smoothly)
Climb (pitch up)
Clean (flaps up)
Click (autopilot on, if you are using it)
Communicate (call going missed)

NOTE: Climb and Cram are effectively simultaneous.

Last Edited by Jonzarno at 06 Apr 06:52
EGSC

Well the way I was taught was to arrest the descent ( particularly talking about say an ILS here). Smoothly add power and start to climb. Safest place to be is over runway so don’t rush into turns.

Have read a report of a chap who had his day/night switch wrong. On short final thought he didn’t have gear down (he did). Firewalled throttle, pulled up and commenced the left turn on the missed still dirty before spinning in.

Obviously many thing happen simultaneously but I have seen people panic, add full throttle towards runway and essentially accelerate toward the threshold rather than be smooth and calm.

Last Edited by JasonC at 06 Apr 14:22
EGTK Oxford

Just do what you do on a take-off. Power, keep straight, pitch to climb attitude, positive rate of climb, (gear up if appropriate) progressive retraction of flaps, fuel pump off and prop rpm set as required. Any manouvres to the side of the runway and radio calls, issue of sick bags etc happen once the essentials are done and dusted. You don’t need a checklist, just use a logical sequence of events.

It's supposed to be fun.
LFDW

Just do what you do on a take-off.

Precisely. I was beginning to wonder if something’s wrong either with me or with my pilot’s eddication.

You don’t need a checklist, just use a logical sequence of events.

Probably – but some people’s logic works best when backed up by a sheet of paper. Nothing wrong there.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

More mental checklist than paper one.

FREDA’s mental…… oops just hope no-one on here is called Freda or married to a Freda

Last Edited by Jude098 at 06 Apr 21:13
EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

The (a) pull up first then add power or (b) power up first then pull up discussion is one that is a US versus European style of go-around. In both worlds it is taught the other way around.

EDLE, Netherlands
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message