Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Devon to Gap Tallard by microlight, looking for some route/airfield suggestions please

Did you get to France this summer @SafetyThird?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

@Jujupilote IMO that sums it up pretty well. AIUI BASULM is administered or has connections to FFPULM. My suggestion of visiting their website is that there is a link to BASULM but also because the assistance assurance might be of interest because unlike with the FFA where this is only available to club members AIUI the FFPULM mostly represents owners and is available outside of clubs.
I too think that the UK has an agreement (in fact I think most countries do) with France, providing the aircraft fits the French ULM regs/limits. Unless the UK regulations have changed as they have in some countries, they all fit within limits AFAIK.

Last Edited by gallois at 28 Jul 16:40
France

Hi,

I appreciate your ambition to expand your wings to the Alps.
For you trip, you will need :

• a radio (preferably 8,33) and a transponder (preferably Mode S)
  • basics of French if possible
  • a GPS (which you obviously have)

I understand you are looking for suggestions for stops on your route.

Here is what I can say :

• you may need some paperwork to enter France in a UK microlight. The UK microlight association probably know the process.
  • after your channel crossing, you will need to clear customs. Apart from Le Touquet LFAT, you will need to pick a customs airports and send some PNR to the french customs. If you cross via the channel islands, Cherbourg LFRC and Dinard LFRD are the obvious options.
  • some airport sell UL91. Some do with a TOTAL machine, like Montceau LFGM or Bourg LFHS. But you will need a TOTAL card for that. I don’t know how long it takes to get one. Some do with another arrangement like Macon LFLM or Abbeville LFOI which take regular credit cards.
  • some airports face a patrol station. I know of Alençon LFOF, Nevers LFQG.
  • some UL fields offer some petrol, buying from the local owner’s stockpile or arranging a drop-off to the local gas station. The UL community is known to be friendly but its english proficiency is variable. If you check on BASULM , you will find some “bigger” UL fields offer some auto fuel like LF4131 Vouzon le Rabot or LF7258 Assé le Riboul. Each time you will have to call and ask but you could make great connections if you have the time and will to do so. To my knowledge, nobody will ask if you are a FFPLUM member or not, nor will ask you to speak perfect French.

I wrote this mostly from memory and there are plenty of other options.
Ask if you have other questions.

LFOU, France

You can’t get clearances in Golf and most of restricted area are in Golf (or Echo for VFR), these only need permission not clearance

Restricted Area in controlled airspace (+Delta for VFR and +Echo for IFR) are covered your ATC clearance anyway, he will tell you if you can cross on direct or own navigation, if it’s some wired restriction he will put you on Airway or Vector

It gets interesting for Danger Areas in Golf where you are required to get ‘crossing service’ (not clearance or permission): UK ATC puts you on DACS (Danger Area Crossing Service), French ATC puts you on published transit route of danger area, bizarrely, if you are not talking to them you don’t need anything at all

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Jul 13:55
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Yes, but enroute clearances are for controlled airspace only. One never gets cleared across a resticted area. One is given permission at most.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

gallois wrote:

The word cleared according to ICAO should only be used for take off and landing.

The word “cleared” should never be used for ground clearances, except clearances related to runways. Once upon a time, you were “cleared to taxi”. That was changed because of confusion with takeoff clearances. Certainly the word “cleared” should be used for clearances in the air.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 28 Jul 09:54
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

gallois wrote:

@Peter they should never use the word cleared for transit. The word cleared according to ICAO should only be used for take off and landing.

I don’t think that’s right. “Cleared” is standard phraseology as part of a clearance to enter or leave controlled airspace. It’s listed in the examples of CAP 413 Radiotelephony Manual:

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom

@Peter they should never use the word cleared for transit. The word cleared according to ICAO should only be used for take off and landing.
It is usually possible to get transit of RAs in France. First you check with SIV if they are active or not. Second if active call on the frequency for the RA and ask for transit. This frequency or frequencies can be found in the Complimentaire which is one of the booklets contained in the VFR documents pack that I advised on earlier. These frequencies are available from other sources such as the AIP but sometimes take longer to find. TRAs are usually notamed and the SIV will be your point of contact. These TRAs are often activities like parachute jumping (civilian as well as military) and the SIV will try and co ordinate your transit and the jumps.
What often looks difficult on paper is usually not difficult at all when you actually talk to someone.
On the other hand you can stick to the airways or go above, round or under the RAs if you don’t fancy talking too much or not at all. But that gets fiddly.

Last Edited by gallois at 28 Jul 07:00
France

Indeed; the biggest issue with flying in France VFR are the various restricted areas. French ATC are really good in routing you through CAS (they rarely use the word “cleared” which one at first finds disconcerting) but the restricted airspace is your lookout. Worth knowing the NATS narrow route briefing site works worldwide, but your favourite satnav app should also show these OK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I can only say that all the ULM owners at LFFK tend to nip down the nearest garage for 95SP, although we do have a bowser to fill the club ULM and and the glider tow ULM.
But that’s difficult when you travel around and have no car to hand.
However, ULM owners tend to be a friendly and helpful group who share the problem of lack of 95SP, and are usually happy to transport someone to the nearest garage or ring a taxi. I’ve even known some to syphon their own plane or car yo help out in emergencies.A small lightweight fold up trolley, as used for suitcases might also come in handy.

France
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message