Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Difficulties with IFR routings in Nice/Cannes area

LFMD also gets you in the right direction and is actually pretty cost effective. I did there and LFMT recently and they are both good stops. LFMD is slot controlled but unless there is some event in Cannes this shouldn’t be an issue.

“Also, please note the IFR routings along the Cote d’Azur are not available below FL150.”

I had no issue routing IFR along Côte du Azur at FL090/100.

EGBP, United Kingdom

Whiskey_Bravo wrote:

I had no issue routing IFR along Côte du Azur at FL090/100.

Yes, the altitude problem comes with Italian airspace if you try to fly north of Genova.
LFMD is slot controled in addition to ATC (please see the dedicated topic) but no problem gettong one as soon as you inquire 4-5 days before the flight and avoid friday/sunday, where there could be congestion.

LFMD, France

I was referring to routes available in flightplanning. Anything below FL150 yields something like this:

Whether you might be able to negotiate something lower in flight is another matter, but you cannot rely on it.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

I was referring to routes available in flightplanning. Anything below FL150 yields something like this:

Whether you might be able to negotiate something lower in flight is another matter, but you cannot rely on it.

OK – I see what you were referring to now… I had some similarly circuitous routings which I prepared to fly if needed but mostly got better directs without asking.

EGBP, United Kingdom

Whether you might be able to negotiate something lower in flight is another matter,

In my very limited experience, what you file and what you fly have little to do with each other. My last IFR flights were from Cannes to Beziers and back. The filed routes zigged and zagged all over the place, but I flew gently curved straight-ish lines each time. My previous FR flights have all been like that too. Of course you can’t count on it and you’d better have enough fuel to fly as filed, but you probably won’t need it.

Last Edited by johnh at 01 Aug 15:16
LFMD, France

In this particular case, I would agree, as there is no huge restricted area or similar there that might make a more direct routing impossible. The fact that there are no low-levels airways in that area (and no way to file direct) seems more for the convenience of the airports loacated along the coast, Nice in particular.

But it requires some “local” knowledge to assess these things. Under the same assumption, one might think that the huge detours that successfully filed routes show around the Paris area can be negotiated (=shortcut) in flight… oh wonder, they cannot!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Not just Nice but Marseille and Toulon plus sometimes there is a lot of military activity.
What they are basically saying is “file a validated route and you will be able to fly it, but if we can we will give you shortcuts”. I don’t have a problem with that and IMO its better than being blocked from flying from A to B.
Doesn’t need local knowledge, just planning.

France

Fresh off FR24, here is a PA46 (F-HGFL) that just flew Aix – Verona Boscomantico (QIO / LIPN), I’d guess IFR, at FL120. Just happened to see it. It seems to be based at LIPN, judging from the flight history.

Last Edited by johnh at 01 Aug 16:56
LFMD, France

Strangely was just looking at the return. The problem for me on Monday is the strong winds forecast at the higher FLs.

I presume I can file FL150 for the route, then just let ATC know unable higher due to strong winds. Otherwise, I am looking at 4hrs to LFMT on Monday then 5.5 to London. That will eat at my day and if I get a slot, I am gonna be diverting Stansted….

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 01 Aug 19:44
Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

then just let ATC know unable higher due to strong winds.

Is this a serious post? DA40…

Stansted

That is either a joke, or masochism. Have you checked the Signature fees?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message