Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ditching accidents, life rafts, jackets and equipment, training and related discussion

Last month aviation consumer had an article about the subject, send me your email address and i will scan it for you. The one that was recommended was a TSO model costing > $3000. Even if you won't buy it it will be a very intresting reading which will explain why the cheap one are useless.

My email is benjamin dot ayalon at virgin dot net

I forgot to add that a friend of mine has an immersion suit that can also act as a 1 man life raft just by inflating it. Can ask for details if of an interest.

That's an interesting article (from Ben).

I think the basic point it makes is that the big (and heavy and pricey) rafts are better!

No suprise there.

Some of the €2000+ ones are so big and heavy that you can just walk into them using the steps provided. I am sure Rambo would have chosen the top end model which probably weighs 30kg and which includes a fridge full of beer... like this one.

From the article:

BOARDING
Over the years, we have tested a lot of life rafts in swimming pools and open water. We've learned the hard way that without adequate entry aids, getting into a life raft from the water can be nigh on impossible for some—particularly anyone who is considerably overweight or for females who often lack upper body strength. A larger diameter buoyancy tube or double tubes that provide
more freeboard, desirable in most circumstances, also increase the difficulty of getting into the life raft. This is exacerbated when cold water is involved, as grip strength and energy are compromised. Based on our experience and testing, entry aids are a major issue to consider in raft selection. A life raft with only the most basic entry aid— a single hanging webbing strap—is seriously compromised, in our opinion. That would include the Revere Aero Compact, Survival Products' entire line and EAM's conventional life rafts. We do not recommend them.

So they are saying the whole Survival Products line is no good.

I can see that if you are overweight or have insufficient upper body strength, you are not going to get into a "simple" 4-person raft from the water, unless you know some clever technique.

Anybody who doubts this should buy one of the "pool toy" rafts and try to get into it from the water. It is damn hard.

Does this mean the simple rafts, like the lightweight Survival Products ones, are useless?

Firstly only you can judge your own fitness/flexibility.

But I think that a 20-30kg raft which you cannot get out of the plane is of no use at all, whereas a < 10kg one can be grabbed with one hand by most people, especially given suitable "motivation"

And the name of the game has to be to get it out just outside the cockpit, before the plane sinks, and step straight into it. As soon as even 1 person is inside, the others can easily get in even from water.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

which probably weighs 30kg and which includes a fridge full of beer

If you take the one without the beer (less survival equipment, same raft) it weighs 19 kg! Even the top end with the fridge (and bible, I kid you not!) is 21kg and change.

Also, the dimensions are not much larger than the cheap 12kg jobby on the transair website:

30 x 60 x 15 vs. 43 x 71 x 20

so while they look to be in a different league, I was surprised how small the physical difference was!

Biggin Hill

for all of us concerned about ditching I found a new craft:

Not content with superyachts and private planes, the wealthiest individuals are now turning their attention to aeroplanes that fly underwater.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/10345636/Underwater-aeroplanes-The-new-toy-for-the-super-rich.html

comment: "Old Guys rule"

EDxx, Germany

Interesting footage of ditching maneuver

Here:

I don’t believe the passengers were not informed that they were going to ditch. Wouldn’t make sense. On the other hand, it’s a bit strange to see them put the jackets on only after they ditched…

Anyway, well done on the ditching. Full stall. 60 knots minus – lets say 10 knots or so of wind – would yield a GS of 50 knots. The low stall speed of the Caravan is certainly a big plus in island operations.

Leaving aside the “spiraling down into the ocean” nonsense… it would be interesting to know what caused the necessity to ditch. Also the reason why they chose the water instead of land (you can see it is very close).

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 Jan 18:46
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Good job!

Also the reason why they chose the water instead of land (you can see it is very close).

Bosco, Hawaiian islands are made of basalt – unless you have a nice, long beach, these shores are NOT a great place to land! The tourist brochures only show part of the reality….

I would take a controlled ditching over landing on some rough terrain any day of the week, especially in calm water as they had.

According to media reports this accident happened in vicinity of Kalaupapa, along the northern shores of Molokai Island. Apart from a supply barge few times a year, Kalaupapa peninsula can be reached only by air (a couple of C208 flights daily) or on foot (yours or mule’s ) DOWN and then UP the steep shore cliffs (no accommodation available or camping allowed in the settlement).
The short tourist/commuter flights usually move along the shore line at around 3000 feet (but still within Honolulu Radar coverage). In this situation ditching is the only option available if forced “to alight” immediately. The Ocean is warm and the Coast Guard pilots not far away ….

Last Edited by ANTEK at 13 Jan 18:37
YSCB

If this was indeed Kalaupapa, then ditching is the ONLY option. No wide, sandy beaches around there. Very interesting place, btw.

If searching for long and wide beaches – do head DownUnder

The only Hawaiian beaches “to speak of” can be found on the Northern shores of Oahu.
Otherwise, spectacular cliffs and more cliffs….

Just passed Kalaupapa going East

Looking eastwards from the Kalaupapa peninsula

Last Edited by ANTEK at 13 Jan 19:53
Last Edited by Peter at 13 Jan 19:51
YSCB
Sign in to add your message