Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ditching accidents, life rafts, jackets and equipment, training and related discussion

EDxx, Germany

Essential reading for those who plan to do some aerial sight-seeing in Hawaii:

HAWAII AIR TOUR COMMON PROCEDURES MANUAL FAA DOCUMENT NUMBER: AWP13-136A

YSCB

One more comment (IIM) -
They were lucky with the weather on the day of the accident.
Usually, it is always rather windy (the blow coming from NE) over there. Waters along the northern shores of all the islands are usually choppy (at best) with considerable swell.
There is even a warning on the Kalapaupa airfield charts of sea spray present (up at 40 ft or more) at the northern end of the single relatively-short runway.
On the day of the accident there was no wind.

[typo edited on OP’s request]

Last Edited by Peter at 14 Jan 11:18
Last Edited by ANTEK at 14 Jan 08:01
YSCB

I need a life raft for my Atlantic crossing. I’m doing this alone so a single person raft would do it.

Here is one from Switlik which costs $999:

I also got a quote from Winslow of their 4Person Ultra-Light Offshore life raft that costs $3500:

Do you think the Switlik would be sufficient to survive some hours in the Atlantic or should I better go for the Winslow. That is so damn expensive!

Last Edited by Muelli at 18 Jan 10:06
EDXQ

I would rent one from Far North Aviation in Wick. Pick it up there and drop off at Goose Bay.

EGTK Oxford

I know about this option but I’ll return via Bergen/Norway.

EDXQ

Still think there must be a way to do it without having to buy one – unless you want to buy one that is.

EGTK Oxford

I wonder would you actually be warmer in the single man one? Less room for air to circulate? Possibly a question worth asking the experts.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Aviation Consumer did a test on life rafts in their June 2013 edition.

In their opinion Winslow offers the best rafts but also commands the highest prices as a premium product. AC also states that one gets value for the money spend on Winslow

General points they are making:

- get a raft with an external ladder as boarding can be difficult in the seas, stay away from rafts with only a strap as a boarding aid
- single cell rafts offer no redundancy. if the cell is punctured you are back in the water
- to add stability to a raft a ballast-system is preferred over a sea anchor, especially when boarding the raft. when a raft is not fully occupied (i.e. one person in a 4 person raft) ballast becomes critical to keep the raft upright. they highly recommend using a raft with ballast when intending to use one in the open ocean
- inflatable floors are a desirable option as they provide additional insulation from the water, very recommended when flying over colder water (as one tends to find in the Atlantic)

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

Actually looking at the single man one that you linked to, it seems to suggest some sort of flexible floor (you can use it upside down). Perhaps the floor isn’t filled with air, which means that you’d get cold very quickly through the material. The air in the floor is to act as an insulator. Also worth checking out.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
Sign in to add your message