Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do airlines recruit any significant % of pilots from the private pilot population?

Peter £25k sounds about average for frozen junior FO outside national flag airlines.

The integrated supply arrangements I believe do give a high probability of securing a job if you perform well on the course, although you may be hired into a holding pool for deferred entry. Not sure when you pay for the type rating, presumably after a job offer.

The training companies that break through into professional integrated training can become very valuable, and without hour building your operational risk is lower. ie nearly all the training is dual, with a high proportion of sim and ground school where hopefully no one gets hurt and no metal is bent.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

A local to me regional turboprops operator stating FO salary is 27 grand. You have to pay for your own type rating which sets you back 12 grand.

I flew with some new F/O’s and pilots as engineering support when I worked for Thomson. There were some very young F/O’s with 250 hrs and a debt of £125K! That’s is one hell of debt to pay back when you earn £24k a year. That’s was a few years a go but I wouldn’t think it had gone up much

Near Luton

Scandinavian Airlines’ recent recruiting of new pilots has got things moving in Scandinavia. I know a guy who took the modular training route starting in my club and got the CPL/IR with ATPL theory two years ago. He has since been building hours in our club including glider towing. He now has about 400 h and just got a job with a regional airline in Sweden. Starting salary around €40k (or about £31k – the British pound is falling rapidly).

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Apr 07:43
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

For those who want to join the airlines – was sent to me tonight by a former colleague

The airline Pilot. Anybody know this guy????

22 years old: Graduated from college. Go to military flight school. Become hot shot fighter pilot. Get married.

25 years old: Have 1st kid. Now hotshot fighter jock getting shot at in war. Just want to get back to USA in one piece. Get back to USA as primary flight instructor pilot. Get bored. Volunteer for war again.

29 years old: Get back from war all tuckered out. Want out of military.

30 years old: Join airline. World is your oyster.

31 years old: Buy flashy car, house and lots of toys. Get over the military poverty feeling.

32 years old: Divorce boring 1st wife. Pay child support and maintenance. Drink lots of booze and screw around while looking for 2nd wife.

33 years old: Furloughed. Join military reserve unit and fly for fun. Repeat above for a few more years.

35 years old: Airline recall. More screwing around, but looking forward to a good marriage and settling down.

36 years old: Marry young spunky 25 year old flight attendant.

37 years old: Buy another house. Gave first one to first wife.

38 years old: Give in to second wife to have more kids. Father again. Wife concerned about “risky” military Reserve flying so you resign commission.

39 years old: Now a captain. Hooray! Upgrade house, buy boat, small single engine airplane and even flashier cars.

42 years old: 2nd wife runs off with wealthy investment banker, but still wants share of house (100%).

43 years old: Settle with wife # 2 and resolve to stay away from women forever. Seek a position as a check Captain for 10% pay override to pay mounting bills. Move into 1 bedroom apartment with window air conditioners.

44 years old: Company resizes and you’re returned to copilot status. 25% pay cut. Become simulator instructor for 10% override pay.

49 years old: Captain again. Move into 2-bedroom luxury apartment with central air conditioning.

50 years old: Meet sexy Danish model on International trip. She loves you and says you are very “beeeeg!”

51 years old: Marry sexy Danish model for wife #3. Buy big house, boat, twin engine airplane and upgrade cars.

52 years old: Sexy model wants kids (not again). Resolve to get vasectomy.

54 years old: Try to talk wife out of kids, but presto, she’s pregnant. She says she got sick after taking the pill. “Accident, sorry, won’t happen again.”

55 years old: Father of triplets.

56 years old: Wife #3 wants very big house, bigger boat and very flashy cars, “worried” about your private flying and wants you to sell twin engine airplane. You give in. You buy a motorcycle and join motorcycle club.

57 years old: Make rash investments to try and have enough money for retirement.

59 years old: Lose money on rash investment and get audited by the IRS. You have to fly 100% International night trips just to keep up with child support and alimony to wife #1 and #2.

60 years old: Wife #3 (sexy model) says you’re too damned old and no fun. She leaves. She takes most of your assets. You’re forced to retire due to Age 60 rule. No money left.

61 years old: Now Captain on a non-schedule South American 727 freight outfit and living in a non-air conditioned studio apartment directly underneath the final approach to runway 9 at Miami Int’l. You have “interesting” Hispanic neighbors who ask you if you’ve ever flown DC-3’s.

65 years old: Lose FAA medical and get job as sim instructor. Don’t look forward to years of getting up at 2 AM for 3 AM sim in every god-forsaken town you train in due to the fact your carrier can find cheap, off-hours sim time at various Brand X Airlines.

70 years old: Hotel alarm clock set by previous FedEx crewmember goes off at 1:00 AM. Have heart attack and die with smile on face. Happy at last!

Ain’t aviation great?

Last Edited by nobbi at 07 Nov 22:17
EDxx, Germany

…I am told he may have got off lightly, buying only three houses for his wives…

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

70 years old:

70 years old? Isn’t there a famous U.S. statistics according to which airline pilots outlive their retirement by 6 months only on average?

EDDS - Stuttgart

@W_N – think you are right, but this pilot “was born tough as an old boot and has only grown more rigid”.

Last Edited by nobbi at 07 Nov 23:09
EDxx, Germany

That’s funny… and does in some cases ring true However, the two retired American Airlines pilots I fly with regularly seem to be having quite a nice life, flying several times a week, fiddling with their planes when they’re not flying, no more scheduled flying or IFR stress… and no expensive divorces in their past. Both were private pilots, then US Navy carrier pilots, then airline pilots. Good guys to learn from, and happy to share their experience.

Where does all this airline pilots get a poor wage from?

Ok I admit that the wages are not what they used to be.

I’m 45 and all the kids that I trained with have done financially very well (bar a couple) and earn cica 120 grand a year as captains. The top earners gross 180 grand a year and have a very good pension scheme.

In the last 10 years I must have been involved in at least 100 students who have gone onto the airlines via the modular route and pretty well all of them earn more than I do. And they put significantly less hours in.

I was speaking to one of them the other day who has just been made captain at a well known irish airline and he tops over 100 grand a year. And he only started flying 6 years ago.

One of two are out in the sandpit where they started on 96K tax free.

I look at flight training and compare it to the effort and cost of say becoming a hospital consultant for the NHS. These days kids are leaving medical school with 70K of debt. Its 14 years. (15 years for pediatrics) to make consultant when you would earn 78K

Sign in to add your message