Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do you really want this in your propeller TKS system?

I don’t find that picture attractive, but maybe that’s just me :-)

Some TKS vapors find their way into the cockpit. I close all the fresh air vents when I have the system on and actually have a mask handy but so far have never used it.

I was wondering when they would put that labeling on.

KHTO, LHTL

NIL :

For use in systems like TKS, the two most important characteristics would be corrosivity and viscosity. Neither is corrosive, and their viscosity at cockpit temperatures is about the same.

A side note about TKS fluid & corrosivity : Whilst TKS fluid is not corosive, it DOES tend to displace light oils and such, which in turn removes the corrosion protection .

A perfect example of this was found on a Mooney Ovation 3 with FIKI TKS that I look after. Excessive play was found on the aft-most elevator push-rod bellcrank. Normally, a 30 minute job to pull the AN3 bolt that serves as the pivot shaft and change the steel bushings. The TKS fluid had dried the oil out of the shaft and the bushing was now firmly corroded on the bolt/shaft . It took over 5 hours to very carefully cut the bolt out to remove it without damaging the other bellcrank and support.

So, although TKS is not in itself corrosive, it will accelerate corrosion by displacing protective oils.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Markus, when it looks like peach ice tea you should visit a doctor or drink more water ;)

Btw, “how do yo relief yourselves in flight?” may make an interesting and informative thread to the older populace here..

EDLN and EDKB
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message