Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dodgy ILS signals

The SBO out failure mode is pretty bad, there’s nothing in the signal to detect it, it looks perfectly like an on-glide signal. The only way to detect it is via cross checks to other glide information sources, be it the FAF check (but then you have to look for the glide slope indicator approaching from above), or DME/baro height, or GPS derived glide slope…

LSZK, Switzerland

I thought ILS signals were monitored on the ground as well, with dedicated (and calibrated) monitoring tools? If the signal fails or is outside parameters, the ILS is supposedly shut down, or at the very least ATC is informed?

That doesn’t absolve the pilot from any and all responsibility to monitor and cross-check things of course.

I thought ILS signals were monitored on the ground as well, with dedicated (and calibrated) monitoring tools?

Yes … but watch the video.

EGEO

A good check is to always verify that there is movement of the GS indication. If you intercept from below the GS and don’t have a fly up indication followed by the GS centering at the appropriate approximate distance from the runway, then you should be extremely suspicious and miss the approach. The sequence should include GS alive, fly up indication followed by GS centered at the correct distance from the runway. If your first indication is GS centered, then either you were vectored too close for a proper approach, you missed the GS alive and movement, or there is a system problem in your aircraft or in the ground equipment. Any of these justify missing the approach.

KUZA, United States

There ought to be a market for a low cost ILS tester.

I started developing one a year ago and spent a lot of time going through the countless patents (which are all lapsed now). It is pretty easy to do it. The IMHO necessary attenuator adds complexity but nowadays there are some nice chips for it. But then found somebody doing one for about $1500 which does DME etc too, and decided that would be more work than I wanted to take on.

So I periodically give 20 quid to a local guy with an IFR4000…. I would buy an IFR4000 myself but everybody knows how much the used ones are worth

then either you were vectored too close for a proper approach

Unfortunately that happens pretty often… so all that is left to monitor is the ROD on the GS (glideslope) versus your GPS (or DME) GS (ground speed).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message