Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does this look like the King Air got bent?

This happened in South Africa. Social media there says it landed but was written off. However:

Here is a message from the pilot and DZ operator Henk Van Wyk
Hi Guys & Girls. I am getting messages about the video of the stall and spin of our King Air 2 weekends ago during the 14 ways FS camp, that has now surfaced on social media.
Predictably, the armchair experts are ripping into it as one would have expected. I thought to share a few facts so you, the skydiving community, can have the correct information.
1. The incident happened on 14-Oct-21
2. The aircraft was inspected and is undamaged. (there are many rumors of it being “a write-off)
3. The stall happened when we allowed too many jumpers on the outside step, causing the nose to pitch up beyond the controllability of the elevator.
4. The aircraft was successfully recovered after two spin rotations.
5. Further asymmetrical movements on the wings after the stall spin recovery were due to one engine spooling up quicker than the other.
6. The incident was reported to CAA within 24 hours. They investigated it and they seem to be happy that the aircraft was operated and flown within its STC.
7. In future, no more than 5 jumpers will be allowed on the outside step. We will also brief the big formations to be wary of a pitch moment of the nose of the aircraft,so they can let go should this happen. This will also be placarded inside the aircraft and included in our King Air briefing for new jumpers.
I am sharing above information so you can have the facts.
Blue Skies.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Great recovery!!

Well I’d have needed a few mins and a cup of tea after that.

United Kingdom

This event is unpleasantly similar to two fatal crashes of skydiving aircraft in Sweden during the last few years. In the first case, the aircraft stalled in IMC and the pilot couldn’t recover before a wing broke off. In the other case the aircraft stalled immediately after takeoff. In the first case it is strongly suspected that movement of the skydivers in the cabin brought the GC too far aft. In the other case the investigation is still ongoing, but of course also in that case you can suspect GC issues.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Something went out of the aircraft at the end of the video?

Further asymmetrical movements on the wings after the stall spin recovery were due to one engine spooling up quicker than the other

Maybe I am an arm chair pilot anyone familiar with KigAirs (or twins) to remind us why one has to use power before regaining control of pitch/speed?

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Nov 19:31
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Thought I was watching the intro to the latest Bond film. Happy to see that everyone is safe. One of my daughters is a skydiver, so these kinds of things evoke a visceral reaction.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

I disagree with 172driver
That is a very poor recover from a stall spin
Looks like he used aileron only and continue rotating and got into a secondary spin
With Acro experience you should unload the stick and not more than one turn (or half) to recover
Too bad they removed spins from the sportsman routine in Acro in USA
there you are forced to do a spin below 3500 feet and recover before hitting the ground
KA are not spin approved but…

KHQZ, United States

I know somebody (no details, sorry) who got exactly the same thing, doing the same job, same plane, with the same outcome, but with no damage to the plane.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hmmm. An airplane stripped out for jump operations, air conditioning removed from the nose, as well as some heavy avionics, so a more aft empty C of G, with all of the occupants moving to the back of the plane (more aft C of G) and then a huge increase of drag, and interruption of airflow over part of the tail… the plane being flown slowly, and it’ spun – small wonder!

I had four jumpers trail from the wingstrut of a 185, without telling me that they would do this (I thought they’d just jump), so I spun the 185 (not a big deal, compared to a King Air!). I had firm talks with jumpers after that!

That pilot will probably insist on a better briefing and plan for future jump flights. Or, that will happen again one day….

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

magyarflyer wrote:

and got into a secondary spin

I count at least two secondary stalls… But, lots of flaps and the CG way aft. First it pitches up, then it stalls with a wing drop, then something that looks more like a snap roll, and then two secondary stalls. Maybe he tried his best to prevent over speeding with flaps out? and he eventually did recovered.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message