Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

European-reg owner-pilot maintenance privileges

always learning
LO__, Austria

Is there a link to the EASA MIP as current on 31/12/2020 (the brexit date)? A google digs up various docs, as usual.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

But my recollection is that any SDMP has to be based on a schedule like the above, which suggests that an SDMP is not advantageous for a Socata TB.

The SDMP can be based either on the EASA Minimum Inspection Programme or on the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule. In the latter case, you are free to remove or change things as long as the change doesn’t go below the EASA MIP. (Assuming we’re talking about part-ML of course.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

There are many reasons to avoid flying a European certified type, or a recently certified type, or both simultaneously. What often lurks in the maintenance manual of those types is chief among them

You can escape some of the MM nonsense on those types by being on N-register and having no documented ‘maintenance program’, the existence of which as per the 9999 discussions on the subject is another minefield.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Jun 16:04

TB20_Inspection_Checklist

At this point I invite the reader to absorb the 9999 SDMP related discussions where 50.0% of the people are talking with wires crossed while the rest are trying to explain how their maintenance company will kick them off the airfield if they demand a SDMP schedule But my recollection is that any SDMP has to be based on a schedule like the above, which suggests that an SDMP is not advantageous for a Socata TB.

Administrator

Are there any aircraft type maintenance manuals which prescribe a 50 hr inspection? The 50 hr inspection as a concept seems to be an old UK national regulation focused on antique UK-built aircraft, in the era before US types became the norm.

Other than ADs which might apply to a given type, the one task I’m aware of that is typically performed on a 50 hr repetitive basis as recommended by the manufacturer is an oil change, recommended by e.g, Lycoming. Other than that I’ve never seen anybody do anything to a light aircraft on a 50 hr mandated basis.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Jun 15:41

@Peter_Paul post moved to existing thread

EASA regs were adopted by the UK under the Withdrawal Act on 31/12/2020 so they should still apply. I am not aware of any change.

I am N-reg but basically AFAIK you can do the whole 50hr service unless AD compliance is involved. There is a list of permitted tasks – see some posts above.

There may be aircraft which, under UK- or EASA-reg, cannot have a 50hr service performed under pilot privileges in any scenario, but I am not aware of one. You would need something like a) the MM calling for a task which is outside the country of registry’s pilot privileges and b) the said country or EASA requiring an SDMP to be based on the MM (which is quite possible; SDMPs tend to be MM based AIUI).

Administrator

hello,
following question for a G reg SEP! What maintance can be done by the pilot/owner? Things like engine oil change, oilfilter change, etc. Any work towards a 50hr inspection?
many thanks for the infos

fly2000

Peter wrote:

AFAIK changing any bulb is permitted pilot maintenance, EASA and FAA. There are some past threads on it. Why would one need a maintenance programme to support already permitted pilot maintenance privileges? I have a reference from 2012 here. The pilot can change any bulb, so long as no special tools etc are required.
Normally this sort of thing is done off the books. Accordingly, an old joke is that the bulbs in AOC aircraft (the bulb has to be traceable back to a batch covered by an EASA-1 form, a work pack has to be raised, etc) last for ever

I know of a recent example of an engineer being flown from the UK to the South of France by GA just to change a nav light bulb in an airliner.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Peter wrote:

The MM for the TB20 (IAW which the maintenance is done) makes no statement about pilot maintenance privileges, nor does it need to.

The MM is not the maintenance programme. The maintenance programme will reference the MM, certainly.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message