Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA proposed regulation on remotely controlled aircraft

here [ local copy ]

This is a bombshell for the model flying community, but IMHO an unsurprising result of a small % of idiots who have been flying near airports and into controlled airspace.

There is a 250 gram weight limit, above which only factory assembled models are permitted, and these will have to meet stringent requirements including a GPS which prevents them being flown in certain areas.

There is also a 50m (160ft) height limitation. Previously this was 500ft in the UK.

One strange thing is that quadcopters (“drones” in Joe Public speak) are not differentiated from fixed wing aircraft. Most drones (well, most of those which have become the €1000 fashionable must-have item, making up the bulk of the explosion in the business an probably the bulk of the cases near airports) are factory built anyway. But most fixed wing model planes are not; these have not seen the “fashion” expansion and have been mostly a kit-building item for many years. I guess this was done because too many twats have flown FPV fixed wing models into controlled airspace, with a lot of the footage ending up on youtube.

Obviously none of this is enforceable but breaching it will void any model flying insurance you have.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

There is a 250 gram weight limit, above which only factory assembled models are permitted, and these will have to meet stringent requirements including a GPS which prevents them being flown in certain areas.
The restriction to factory assembled models above 250 g is a bit strange. Is there a poor safety record with heavier model aircraft?

There is also a 50m (160ft) height limitation. Previously this was 500ft in the UK.

50 m or 150 m, depending on the class of UAV.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

The restriction to factory assembled models above 250 g is a bit strange.

It might be that the regulator has convinced himself that he can enforce the gps “fence” more easily with factory-assembled drones.

Top Farm, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom

Yes, plus below 250g is perhaps not able to go through the window of an airliner, or to damage the engine.

The FAA requires registration above 250g so maybe that is where the figure was copied from.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Yes, plus below 250g is perhaps not able to go through the window of an airliner, or to damage the engine.

One of the engines in our fleet was damaged by a rivet of the air intake which became loose. 250 grams of metal and plastic can very severely damage the fan of an engine because of the high speed at which the rotating fan blades will hit the model.

I (briefly) read through the EASA document but could not find the regulation which only permits factory built models/drones to weigh more than 250g. And I can hardly believe that they will enforce that. Almost all model aircraft are heavier than 250g and almost all are homebuilt. A regulation like that would almost completely erase aeromodeling as we know it and only leave room for some children’s toys.

Last Edited by what_next at 01 Oct 11:43
EDDS - Stuttgart

A regulation like that would almost completely erase aeromodeling as we know it and only leave room for some children’s toys.

That is what my son said, and he works in a firm selling quadcopters.

Administrator

what_next wrote:

I (briefly) read through the EASA document but could not find the regulation which only permits factory built models/drones to weigh more than 250g.

It’s a little indirect but in section UAS.OPEN.50 (a) (2) it says that the lowest category operations (A0) may be performed with class 0 drones (<250g) that are either (1) a marketed product or (2) a home-built product. The home built option is absent from all the higher categories.

Top Farm, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That is what my son said, and he works in a firm selling quadcopters.

I just read a comment published by the German modeling association about this proposed regulation. Obviously not all is as bad as it seems. The strict limitations (e.g. 250g / 50m) apply to the generic category. But there is also a “specific category” under which most “classic” aeromodels will fall. Very much like gliding or microlighting, this category will be managed by the national model flying associations. So in order to operate model aircraft and larger or self made multicopters you must become member of a local club or the national organisation (which in Germany one has to do for getting insurance cover anyway) and follow their rules. They will need to provide some mandatory training which is not entirely stupid if you ask me – I guess not many aeromodelers and especially “drone pilots” really know a lot about airspace structure. Other than that, modelists can continue exactly as before.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Banning factory built models above 250g would be much more effective in restricting access to sensible people.

what_next wrote:

I just read a comment published by the German modeling association about this proposed regulation. Obviously not all is as bad as it seems. The strict limitations (e.g. 250g / 50m) apply to the generic category. But there is also a “specific category” under which most “classic” aeromodels will fall. Very much like gliding or microlighting, this category will be managed by the national model flying associations. So in order to operate model aircraft and larger or self made multicopters you must become member of a local club or the national organisation (which in Germany one has to do for getting insurance cover anyway) and follow their rules. They will need to provide some mandatory training which is not entirely stupid if you ask me – I guess not many aeromodelers and especially “drone pilots” really know a lot about airspace structure. Other than that, modelists can continue exactly as before.

Not exactly, but very close. The restrictions are max alt, min distance to people (except when operated in a club) and min distance to airports (without permission). There are no restrictions on weight or speed, and FPW is allowed, if at least one additional person is there to see the model with his eyes.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message