Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EDDV Hannover - info, and getting in touch?

I’m planning a trip to Hannover in the new year to meet a friend, but am having trouble getting in touch – I sent an email to their GA terminal last week but no response, no joy on the phone today either.

I’ll try again tomorrow, but in the mean time I’ll revert to asking you folks :)

1. Booking in – their website says “you are not required to request a slot”, not sure if that means no notification is required at all? or just that I don’t need need to book a specific time, but still need PPR. (I’ll be entering & exiting Schengen elsewhere, so no need for customs/immigration)
  2. Local procedures – have studied the AIP but wondering if there’s anything else to know. I see DFS has a Visual Approach Chart, seeing as this will be free in Jan 2023 I’ll download it then :D in general i am very comfortable with ATC and have been to international airports before – but Hannover will be significantly larger than anywhere else I have visited, and also my first time at a German airfield. So want to be 100% sure I don’t make a fool of myself!
  3. Local flights – given how GA-friendly it is, I am assuming that a local sightseeing flight will be fine (these are even advertised commercially at the airport). However seeing as the city of Hannover is largely under their airspace, I wanted to make sure this would be OK. If not sure then I’ll ask ATC directly.
EGSG, United Kingdom

As usual for German airports: don‘t call, don‘t write, don‘t book, etc. Just male sure you studied the AIP/AIP VFR/VAC/etc, plus any SUPs and NOTAMs. Flying-wise, all there is to know is there.

if you want, there is some more info on the webpage of the GAT. here

Last Edited by boscomantico at 22 Dec 16:23
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks, I have read that page as well as the AIP as I say. Will check out the DFS stuff once it’s free in the new year.

> As usual for German airports: don‘t call, don‘t write, don‘t book, etc

That’s the way it’s done, then? My first time in German airspace, I am a total noob

Last Edited by SteakAndAle at 22 Dec 16:37
EGSG, United Kingdom

SteakAndAle wrote:

That’s the way it’s done, then? My first time in German airspace, I am a total noob

That’s how it’s done in most places. The “booking in/out” thing is UK-specific. If there is no PPR/PNR/slot (which it is not at Hannover), you just file your flight plan and fly.

Btw: Hannover is very GA-friendly, but the taxiways are slightly tricky so study the taxi charts carefully in advance. Expect to use runway 09L/27R or possibly 09C/27C. Also expect to pass a full security check when going airside from the GA terminal even though you are the PIC, so don’t leave your license in the aircraft!

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 22 Dec 16:53
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes Hannover is absolutely GA friendly! Even the landing fees are reasonable regarding the size of the airport. Just take care on taxiing. I was confused last time when I was there although I have been there before several times. I as always, if you are not sure where to go just stop and ask. Have a nice flight and a good time there. Btw: It is only a short way by foot to the mein terminal. So you might use public transport from there.

EDDS , Germany

Airborne_Again wrote:

Btw: Hannover is very GA-friendly, but the taxiways are slightly tricky so study the taxi charts carefully in advance. Expect to use runway 09L/27R or possibly 09C/27C.

Take care of the holding points for RWY 09C/27C, especially at TWY P at apron GA1.

SteakAndAle wrote:

Local flights – given how GA-friendly it is, I am assuming that a local sightseeing flight will be fine (these are even advertised commercially at the airport). However seeing as the city of Hannover is largely under their airspace, I wanted to make sure this would be OK. If not sure then I’ll ask ATC directly.

ATC is very helpful in EDDV. Sightseeing should be no problem. Non – Standard VFR departures will be approved if traffic allows, sometimes they offer you shortcuts on approach. As an example: i was approaching from the south via LIMA , after entering the CTR along the highway ATC transmits “D-EXXX, report field in sight”. I reported “field already in sight”. After that i was cleared for a direct approach to RWY 27R.

The personnel at the GAT is very helpful and friendly.

Last Edited by sw1969 at 22 Dec 18:17
EDHN, EDDV, Germany

Another hint:

if you need to refuel try EDVM, 10minutes southeast of EDDV. AVGAS andf JETA1 is much cheaper there. 1100m runway hard surface.

EDHN, EDDV, Germany

Reports in our database can be useful

Last Edited by Emir at 22 Dec 22:37
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

EDDV was formerly my homebase, now I moved south to EDVM.

The others already posted plenty of good advice. EDDV is widely known as a very GA friendly 24H airport, you shouldn’t run into any problems. As was said above, be sure to study the taxiway layout before, crossing the taxiway adjacent to Runway 9C/27C requires a clearance.

The S-Bahn local train station is just 10 minutes by foot away from the GAT and will take you to Hannover Central Station, which is right in the city centre, within 20 minutes. Be sure to buy a “Tagesticket” (day ticket) from GVH if you plan to move around the city with public transport. For most locations in the city, that is more convenient and cheaper than going by taxi or rental car as Hannover has a very dense public transport network that recieved major upgrades and expansions in preparation for the Expo 2000 World fair.

If you have any other questions regarding both the airport and the region, feel free to ask in this thread. As a local citizen I will try to answer to the best of my abilities.

As mentioned by @sw1969 above, EDVM can be a useful and much cheaper alternative if you want to visit the area. It has a 1200 m hard surface runway in good condition but is strictly day VFR. IFR arrivals can do a cloudbreak at EDDV and then continue VFR to EDVM, there are no relevant obstacles anywhere in the wider area above 1000 ft.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 23 Dec 08:39
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

SteakAndAle wrote:

Local flights – given how GA-friendly it is, I am assuming that a local sightseeing flight will be fine (these are even advertised commercially at the airport). However seeing as the city of Hannover is largely under their airspace, I wanted to make sure this would be OK. If not sure then I’ll ask ATC directly.

A sightseeing flight is no problem. Just ask ATC. On a sunny day there are always several SEPs a day doing such a flight over the city proper. Outside the CTR this is even less of a problem just stay below 2500 ft to avoid climbing into the class D airspace from below.

The last time I flew from EDDV I asked for a southern departure over the city and got it no problem. A common route is over the central train station (easily identified by the multiple railway tracks) and the via the Maschsee artificial lake towards the south.

Other sights are Marienburg castle SE of the city, closer to EDVM than EDDV or the lake Steinhuder Meer, although be sure to check the extent of the Wunstorf AFBs CTR if you want to fly there.

In past flights I have also been granted a midfield crossing at both the Luftwaffe base and EDDV itself.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message