Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

First "Long nav" during IFR training

HI everyone..

I have been a happy reader of this Forum for many years – and almost joined your meetups a few times. That will change next year, where I will..

I am looking for a few suggestions.. I am finalising my IFR training now – and one of the last things before the skill test is a “long nav” trip.. Basically it is something like 2-3 legs out (of around 250NM) a sleep over and a trip back again.

The starting point is middle of Denmark..

So I am looking for suggestions – and also “NO GO’s” if you have any.. Good airports in the range of middle germany for refuling stops (without exceptional handling costs, refueling prices), etc – and good airports to stop at for a night over (again – without exceptional handling costs, difficulties, etc)..

I will start calling around my self – but anything go/nogo in the range of middle/south germany, poland, checkia, east part of holland, belgium, etc..

any input will be received with great thanks (especial no-go’s) ..

Happy flying!

EKRK

Erfurt EDDE: Super cheap, friendly and quick. Good for the night, there is a hotel 50m to the left of the terminal or the tram to the nice downtown 30m to the right.
Nürnberg EDDN: cheap, friendly and quick.
Leipzig EDDP: reasonably cheap considering the place is gigantic, a few odd birds on the parking. Refuel and payments can all be done never leaving the apron, quite good for a quick technical stop.

I am not recommending Lübeck, I was there only once and they were not very friendly.
I read Hannover EDDV is good for GA too, quick response but I ended up not going.

ESMK, Sweden

Jesniels wrote:

and one of the last things before the skill test is a “long nav” trip.

That’s a requirement from the ATO? Great thing to do and you’ll learn a lot, but I would suggest doing it after you done the test

EGTR

I flew to Nürnberg when thunderstorms kept me from flying to intended destination (decision taken before take-off), to spend the night and be closer to destination where I would fly early in the morning before thunderstorms developed again. Big commercial airport, Mövenpick hotel right next to airport, very helpful ground staff: they brought me soapy water to wash the plane, patiently waited for me, … Avgas with German prices (high; I don’t think I took any), but I really don’t remember paying much for landing charges, handling, etc.

ELLX

Jesniels wrote:

one of the last things before the skill test is a “long nav” trip.

I never heard about such a requirement. Are you doing it solo? IFR? Can you do it solo IFR before the skill test? If you do it VFR, then what’s the point in an IR training?

ELLX

Hannover EDDV is indeed a great airport for GA, though as a VFR only pilot I cannot comment on IFR ops. It is the only H24 airport in Northern Germany.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

Hannover EDDV is indeed a great airport for GA, though as a VFR only pilot I cannot comment on IFR ops. It is the only H24 airport in Northern Germany.

It’s great as a GA IFR airport as well.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 28 Sep 06:33
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

lionel wrote:

lionel
Jesniels wrote:
one of the last things before the skill test is a “long nav” trip.
I never heard about such a requirement. Are you doing it solo? IFR? Can you do it solo IFR before the skill test? If you do it VFR, then what’s the point in an IR training?

The ATO I am with, has it as part of their CB-IR training program (the length, depending on the profiency of the student).. And it is done together with an instructor :-)

Thank you all for some good suggestions, I will try to put together a trip, and find an airport in Czechoslovakia and maybe Poland as well for a technical stop..

EKRK

Jesniels wrote:

The ATO I am with, has it as part of their CB-IR training program (the length, depending on the profiency of the student).. And it is done together with an instructor :-)

Flying to Czechoslovakia is a lot of hours to pay the instructor for looking at you be on autopilot in the cruise with nothing going on on the radio, unless you needed to go there anyway.

EGTR

mmgreve wrote:

Flying to Czechoslovakia is a lot of hours to pay the instructor for looking at you be on autopilot in the cruise with nothing going on on the radio, unless you needed to go there anyway.

The instructor is almost free for this trip :-) So not a problem at all.. For this trip, it is not like your typical danish ATO with hourly instructor rates going up to almost the same as the flying it self, he he

EKRK
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message