Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

First "Long nav" during IFR training

IFR training flights down mid Germany from Denmark I first recommend Hannover EDDV, very GA friendly but keep in mind although H24 the GAT closes 2200-0600 LCL, so PPR may apply, information which will be given to you by phone or mail usually quick. Second recommendation, Hamburg EDDH, now GA friendly. Third, friendly Erfurt EDDE, also good for overnight stay (take the tram if, taxis were extremely expensive). Bremen is good for low approach ;-). Lubeck is good for nothing, long cutpurse tradition, if you go there do any business with them cash for service and beware of getting through their book keeping, they tend to ‘forget’ contract settings to their favor. Munster-Osnabruck and Paderborn-Lippstadt are nice training areas also.

172driver wrote:

I don’t know about EASAland, but it is a requirement for the FAA IR (I will do exactly that on Saturday). Here it is min 250nm with three different types of approach (e.g. RNAV, ILS, LOC) at different airports. You do it IFR with an instructor. There is no solo component in the FAA IR training.

There is no solo component in EASA IR training either.

EASA IR training is divided into two modules — basic and procedural. I can find detailed requirements for the basic module in the AMC/GM to part-FCL, but oddly enough not for the procedural module. Any cross-country flight would be in the procedural module.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

lionel wrote:

I never heard about such a requirement.

I don’t know about EASAland, but it is a requirement for the FAA IR (I will do exactly that on Saturday). Here it is min 250nm with three different types of approach (e.g. RNAV, ILS, LOC) at different airports. You do it IFR with an instructor. There is no solo component in the FAA IR training.

mmgreve wrote:

Flying to Czechoslovakia is a lot of hours to pay the instructor for looking at you be on autopilot in the cruise with nothing going on on the radio, unless you needed to go there anyway.

The instructor is almost free for this trip :-) So not a problem at all.. For this trip, it is not like your typical danish ATO with hourly instructor rates going up to almost the same as the flying it self, he he

EKRK

Jesniels wrote:

The ATO I am with, has it as part of their CB-IR training program (the length, depending on the profiency of the student).. And it is done together with an instructor :-)

Flying to Czechoslovakia is a lot of hours to pay the instructor for looking at you be on autopilot in the cruise with nothing going on on the radio, unless you needed to go there anyway.

EGTR

lionel wrote:

lionel
Jesniels wrote:
one of the last things before the skill test is a “long nav” trip.
I never heard about such a requirement. Are you doing it solo? IFR? Can you do it solo IFR before the skill test? If you do it VFR, then what’s the point in an IR training?

The ATO I am with, has it as part of their CB-IR training program (the length, depending on the profiency of the student).. And it is done together with an instructor :-)

Thank you all for some good suggestions, I will try to put together a trip, and find an airport in Czechoslovakia and maybe Poland as well for a technical stop..

EKRK

MedEwok wrote:

Hannover EDDV is indeed a great airport for GA, though as a VFR only pilot I cannot comment on IFR ops. It is the only H24 airport in Northern Germany.

It’s great as a GA IFR airport as well.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 28 Sep 06:33
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Hannover EDDV is indeed a great airport for GA, though as a VFR only pilot I cannot comment on IFR ops. It is the only H24 airport in Northern Germany.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Jesniels wrote:

one of the last things before the skill test is a “long nav” trip.

I never heard about such a requirement. Are you doing it solo? IFR? Can you do it solo IFR before the skill test? If you do it VFR, then what’s the point in an IR training?

ELLX

I flew to Nürnberg when thunderstorms kept me from flying to intended destination (decision taken before take-off), to spend the night and be closer to destination where I would fly early in the morning before thunderstorms developed again. Big commercial airport, Mövenpick hotel right next to airport, very helpful ground staff: they brought me soapy water to wash the plane, patiently waited for me, … Avgas with German prices (high; I don’t think I took any), but I really don’t remember paying much for landing charges, handling, etc.

ELLX
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message