Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Efficiency of air intake

Hello,
I was testing a plane this morning, and although I have not many constant speed prop to verify, I have noted quite a difference between the current atmospherical pressure and the Intake pressure at full throttle (29.2 in the air and 27.8 at FT). Is this normal to see such a diff?
I have an application to evaluate engin powere, and that’s 10 HP less for the O360.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 28 Oct 18:33
LFMD, France

Still standing or including ram air? Mine has to have more than an inch less on hold, but with ram air it gets a bit more. However my case is a bit special (turbonormalized engine).

Last Edited by UdoR at 28 Oct 22:24
Germany

Still standing, FT on the brakes.
What I’d like to understand is the part of natural losses of the induction system and what could be attributed to the engine wear. As you have a TN engine, you can’t really have this information as any loss is compensated by the turbo…

LFMD, France

I don’t think the engine health has anything to do with that. If anything it means the engine is “pulling” too much, so shouldn’t be a problem.

Even at full throttle there might remain a slight narrowing in the throttle which causes a small depressurization. There might be another narrowing upstream (in the intake), the air filter may create drag too. This might also simply be the pressure gradient itself, which creates the airflow into the engine, although it seems a bit high.

As a data point I remember on a hot day (in flight) the MAP barely reached recommended cruise setting of 24.7" at full throttle (while atmospheric pressure even on hot days is pretty much always > 29").

France

greg_mp wrote:

you can’t really have this information as any loss is compensated by the turbo

Yes I do, it’s a manually operated installation, and I do a typical takeoff without turbo. Of course if I need it (hot, high, heavy) I use it. But the tubing for air is a bit special on my engine, and that is why the manual states explicitely that a loss of MP is normal.

However, there is always a loss in MP against ambient pressure, already due to the fact that the engine sucks in on intake. But it shouldn’t be so noticeable.

Germany

You meant that on a normal day you don’t have such a loss without the turbo kicking in (but tubing still here)?

LFMD, France

An engine with a convoluted air intake tract will present a greater resistance to intake air flow, and therefore will have greater pressure drop between ambient pressure and measured MP.

A normally aspirated (non-turbo) engine in good condition will have lower full throttle manifold pressure than the same engine if it were malfunctioning. The malfunctioning engine will conversely have a higher full throttle manifold pressure, because it is incrementally closer to an engine that is shut down completely, when the engine has the highest possible (ambient) manifold pressure.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Oct 15:22
Theoretically the manifold pressure at full throttle should be the same as when the engine was at rest (actual atmospheric pressure), but in reality it will be somewhat less. With full throttle on the ground the manifold pressure on a naturally aspirated engine will be approximately 2 to 3 inches below what the gauge indicated with the engine at rest. This difference is due to air drag across the throttle and through the induction system. In flight, the intake ram effect will reduce this drop to approximately one inch on well-designed systems.

From here:

Book: Manifold Pressure – Aero Resources Inc

I gave it a full review and have to say it is quite a good article on this topic!

Last Edited by UdoR at 29 Oct 15:32
Germany

greg_mp wrote:

You meant that on a normal day you don’t have such a loss without the turbo kicking in

That means that I see practically the same as any normally aspirated engine if the Turbo is not operated. So on hot conditions MP can be a lot lower than with engine shut down, several inches. During takeoff I think I get one to two inches more due to ram air.

Germany

Ok, so in fact just 1.4 inches of difference is not so bad.Thx for the article, I’ll give it a read when less busy… probably this night before to Zzzzz.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 29 Oct 18:23
LFMD, France
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message