Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ELA1 / ELA2 maintenance (merged)

Most alleviations will come in place for aircraft up to 2730 kg, only a few things will stay for ELA1.

ESSZ, Sweden

As in, most provisions that are currently in place for ELA1 planes are expected to be extended to ELA2 planes (ie. up to 2730kg MTOM), correct?
Would you be so kind to summarize what will stay ELA1 only?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

According to the NCO Summary ELA2 is up to 2000kg.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

tmo wrote:

Would you be so kind to summarize what will stay ELA1 only?

I am sorry, things have changed during the process. There might not be any differences in the Opinion that was published and sent to the Commission.

Part-M Light will cover:

• aeroplanes of 2 730 kg maximum take-off mass (MTOM) or less;
  • rotorcraft of 1 200 kg MTOM or less, certified for a maximum of up to 4 occupants; and
  • other ELA2 aircraft.
ESSZ, Sweden

Hello everyone

Sometime in April this year EASA has published its Opinion 05/2016 concerning Part-ML, which will have a very positive effect on GA (aircraft w/ max. MTOW 2’730kg). Usually after a Opinion is published, the draft regulation leaves EASA and disappears in the dark offices of the European Union until it suddenly reappears with an assigned “EU No #/year”. I didn’t find any information on Part-ML on the EC Comitology website, and neither on Eur-Lex.

Bold question: Did I miss something – is it in force already?

It’s worth asking on this smart forum… ;-)

Cheers

Thank you. Sorry for the duplicate post, somehow the search filter showed only Threads 1yr and older (maybe it was set to Part-ML in title)…

I didn’t expect it to take until mid 2017 though…

Is “Part M Light” the same as ELA1/ELA2?

A lot of people are looking at ELA2 because it should allow a freelance EASA66 engineer to do everything on say a TB20 (1400kg). That is a huge cost saving over a maintenance company, and in many cases it enables one to escape some unattractive options in that department. It is good for “involved” owners and has no apparent negatives for the rest.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No Part ML isn’t the same as ELA1/2. However it is going to apply to ELA1 and ELA2 (2’000kg and below) as well as 2’730kg and below (I think this was a last minute change and that’s what is written in the Decision 05/2016.

What I was confused about is that apperently it is legal since spring 2016 to declare a maintanance program, but only for non commercial operators. Unfortunately this excludes flight schools because of the formulation of M.A.201(i). The Part-ML ML.A.201 and 302 is completely new written and will cause alleviations for commercial operators other than AOC holders. I thought Part-ML was the same as the change in spring, but that was just an amendment for private operators (well at least…!).

What I was confused about is that apperently it is legal since spring 2016 to declare a maintanance program, but only for non commercial operators. Unfortunately this excludes flight schools because of the formulation of M.A.201(i).

I don’t have that doc at hand, but EASA said that flight training is not a commercial operation wrt maintenance.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 06 Sep 17:52
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

ArcticChiller wrote:

I thought Part-ML was the same as the change in spring, but that was just an amendment for private operators (well at least…!).

That change concerned ELA1. Part-M Light is going to be bigger and will continue in that trend.

Sign in to add your message